Help with gear purchase!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickdog81:
I went in to a few dive shops and I have the option of these scuba packages at the following prices. I need to know which one is better or a better value for the money.

Package 1: $729
Cressi sub airtech regulator
Cressi sub x2 octo
aluminum 80 tank
3 guage console
aeris atmos bc

I guess this package is cheaper because of the economical yet durable BC which is lower in price because it doesnt have all the unecessary bells and whistles.

Package 2:
Aqualung Malibu BC
Aqualung xlc octo
Aqualung titan lx regulator
veo 100 computer w/ compass and pressure gauge in console.
aluminum 80 tank

This one is more expensive becuase of the Aqualung BC which also has few pockets but has back inflation.

Can anyone comment on these two packages or particular items from the two which may be beter or worse than the other?

I'm going to buy everything tomorrow so I need all the last minute help I can get.

I've got very little experience with Cressi, but what I have has been of the "Uhh, sorry. We, the factory, are fresh out of that part you need, we expect a new batch in about 8 months time or so"-kind.

OTOH, I have very good experiences with AquaLung. Specifically, I use the AL Titan LX and AL Legend Lx reg's myself, and they are just excellent. The Titan LX are the workhorses of my kit, are very well performing and have thus far never missed a beat.

I would, however, get the LX octo as well, instead of the XLC. I have seen a tendancy for the XLC to often free-flow on the Titan 1. stages (and on the Legend LX, the XLC will definitely free-flow). Essentially, the LX octo is the same quality as the LX 2. stage -- and I believe that it makes a lot of sense that your "emergency equipment" is of a quality no less than your main equipment.

Can't make any statements 'bout the computer -- don't know it. But with reg's and BC's, AL is generally a good choise, IMHO,

Which Aeria Atmos BC is included in the package. I am guessing the Atmos Sport. If that is the case I would definitely go with the 2nd option. If it is the Atmos XT I would try to mix and match a little. I have tried on the the Atmos XT and the Malibu and the Atmos was a great deal more comfortable. However, you may want to look around a bit more. I did a great deal of shopping when it came time to buy my equipment. One thing I would recommend if you decided to go piece by piece is to look at the Atomic Z1 regualtor. It has an MSRP of $20 more than the Titan LX and in my opinion breaths a lot smoother.

I've had the Aeris Atmos XT for about 4 years. Contrary to what's been posted here, it is a hybrid not a jacket BC. True it has SOME side inflation, but the majority of it plus the lift come from the back. And like most back inflatables, on the surface tends to push one forward on the surface if full.

Just wanted to add that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom