Help with first reg purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shannon M.:
Don't confuse what technical divers do as always a good example. You should never service your own regulator even if you can get the parts. Some Tech divers also put in a second or third burst disk which is a big no-no for the recreational diver. If you like Dive Rite, go with it. But don't do it becuase you want to work on it.
I rebuild my own gear, and I have no official training. It's not rocket science. And it's my life that is hanging in the balance when I dive with this gear. So, I take my time, and do the job well. I've had no problems with my gear, and plenty of problems with lds serviced rentals.
It is fine that most people don't have the mechanical ability or desire to service their own gear, and this gentleman may not be suited to doing so. But I do have a problem with simply stating that people shouldn't service their own gear. The situation varies, and he may be well equipped to do so.

rleslie:
My wife and I got our Open Water this past weekend and we're beginning to look for equipment. We both retire in January and will be living aboard a sailboat. We intend to do our primary diving in the Bahamas & Caribbean and intend to get our Advanced OW before we leave.

I want to support the local shop where we took the classes (I am also a small business owner), but I'm not "locked" into buying from him. He sells Atomic, Aeris, TUSA and Dive Rite. We have no intentions of doing any diving other than rec diving.

I like basic, well built, long lasting, quality, equipment and I'm willing to pay for it (within reason). One of my concerns is maintenance. We intend to sail into the lower Carib and will not always have access to techs, so I'm looking for something that I can service myself.

Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Roger & Evans Leslie

If I were in your position, I would also opt for redundancy. My recommendation(strictly personal) would be to pick up maybe 4 used sets of regs and have them serviced. Those will probably run you the same amount of money as two new sets, and give each of you 100% redundancy. My personal favorite regs are the various members of the Conshelf family. They fit your profile of ruggedness and ease of repair. Most places can rebuild them for you. The tools needed to rebuild them are fairly standard, and they would be easy to repair on the water.

I have no idea what others do. I plan to take a class or be trained by someone well versed in it. While I pick up things well on my own, this job has some pretty serious penalties for mistakes.

-P

*Floater*:
PF, how do tech divers usually learn to service their own equipment? Is it something you take a course on, read books about, or just pick up by reading the manuals?

Do you need special equipment to do it? Will it actually save you money in the end, or is more of a hobby thing?

Very true, what tech divers do isn't always good for recreational divers, or in fact, good for other tech divers. The point was simply that if one was GOING to service thier own gear, it might make sense to buy one with a design that minimized specialized tools, or one where parts were made available to owners and not just authorized dive shops or service centers.

I also take exception to your statement that Tech divers use multiple burst disks. You're condeming a BROAD range of people for a dangerous practice employed by a few.

Shannon M.:
Don't confuse what technical divers do as always a good example. You should never service your own regulator even if you can get the parts. Some Tech divers also put in a second or third burst disk which is a big no-no for the recreational diver. If you like Dive Rite, go with it. But don't do it becuase you want to work on it.

*Floater*:
Will it actually save you money in the end, or is more of a hobby thing?

Well, as I have not done this yet, I will offer this up...

Consider the technical diver who's doing stage diving or cave diving. They probably own a doubles set, and perhaps a couple of stage or deco bottles. All with regulators on them. Most manufacturers indicate servicing every year or 2 or every 100 dives. Tech divers tend to dive far more frequently than the average diver, sometimes getting in 200+ dives a year.

If we estimate that a full service will cost $50 per reg set, with $20 of that being parts (very conservative price) then each reg set serviced at home would save $30. Multiply that by 5 sets, twice a year, and we've saved $300 for the year. Now I'm no rocket scientist, but that seems like a worthwhile investment in time for a lot of people.

If maintainance of the regs on your vacations is a consideration, I'd stick to the big names of the diving industry like: Scubapro, Mares and Aqualung. These are the most popular brands in the world and you'll be able to service one of those almost everywhere.
All regs nowdays are excellent and will please any recreational diver.
FWIW, I have a Mares Abyss and am very impressed by the built quality and reliability. I haven't seen yet other modern regulators that are build so solid. I took it through couple hundred dives ranging from tropical to freezing and it always performed flawlessly.

PerroneFord:
Very true, what tech divers do isn't always good for recreational divers, or in fact, good for other tech divers. The point was simply that if one was GOING to service thier own gear, it might make sense to buy one with a design that minimized specialized tools, or one where parts were made available to owners and not just authorized dive shops or service centers.

I also take exception to your statement that Tech divers use multiple burst disks. You're condeming a BROAD range of people for a dangerous practice employed by a few.

I said some tech divers, not all.

I have owned Zeagle, Mares, Scubapro, Poseidon and a few other regulators.
From past experience see what your friends and dive store people are diving and then ask them why? You should get some interesting answers- if possible rent a few and see if you can notice the difference. Or ask to use your friend and offer them a beer for trying out the unit.

Long term owning a regulator you need to take into consideration what can break and wear out. I have seen 1st stages and saltwater destroys all materials (rubber and metal.) You will have to be careful to wash it and take care of the unit as a whole. Salt water does nasty things-

Also you want a major brand if you are going to find yourself in unusual parts of the world. That has always been the problem with anything that is out of the ordinary for parts or design. I have this issue with Poseidon hoses- god forbid you cut a 7ft hose in the Pacific basin- your screwed.

One thing that has not been mentioned is buy what you need not what they want to sell you. I would suggest a 1st stage, 2nd stage and Octo –all the same brand for ease of parts. Then buy a SPG (pressure gauge) only with a wrist mounted compass and a wrist computer. Since you said you’re out of the boonies I would consider either the (Diverite) Ni tek Duo (Very big numbers) and you can change the battery or an Uwatec wrist unit- battery lasts forever and they are very good computers get the nitrox version. Since you are in warm water buy a basic bc or backplate and wings.

If asking what major brands-
Scubapro- you find parts every where.
Diverite- you could take the technician course and have all parts mailed directly to you.
Atomics- parts are going to be an issue, and having maintenance done. Unless, you mail your unit back to the states- I know people who have done that.

Just my opinion. Please keep in mind that for at least one year you are golden with new dive gear. Second year you should have it serviced. If you are going to be out of touch with civilization for a long period of time I would recommend taking the technicians course to understand your gear better and how to do basic things. It is to your benefit.

Remember if you are diving shallow you don’t need super fancy but dive gear that works well. If you have any specific questions please give me a yell.

Regards,

One other thought regarding the DiveRites and maintenance - http://www.diveriteexpress.com occassionally offers a course on regulator maintenance in their Florida shop.

I use DiveRites and am very happy with them. The "final straw" so to speak was when I read Post #4 on this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=13149

I figured if it could hold up under that kind of use, it would work well for my recreational diving too :wink:

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom