Help Us Plan Our Dive Roadtrip: Augusta GA to Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing I will be looking for is any shop that will do night diving on the Atlantic coast at this time frame (December 26-27) in the Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale area. We are also curious about trying out a "blackwater dive" to see all the cool critters swim up from the depths at night, however it looks like this is only available during the summer.

Another thing I will be looking for is any shop that will do night diving on the Atlantic coast at this time frame (December 26-27) in the Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale area. We are also curious about trying out a "blackwater dive" to see all the cool critters swim up from the depths at night, however it looks like this is only available during the summer.
Most shops will do a night dive when requested. However, they almost always have a "minimum" number of passengers. In my experience that's around 4-6 divers. If they don't get enough passengers then they typically cancel the dive. You'll have much better luck doing one on a Friday or Saturday. Call the shop you like and ask them about doing a night dive on the day you want. You should specifically ask about their cancellation policy in case they don't volunteer the information. Surprises on a vacation can be a bummer so it's best to be informed.

Most shops will do a night dive when requested. However, they almost always have a "minimum" number of passengers. In my experience that's around 4-6 divers. If they don't get enough passengers then they typically cancel the dive. You'll have much better luck doing one on a Friday or Saturday. Call the shop you like and ask them about doing a night dive on the day you want. You should specifically ask about their cancellation policy in case they don't volunteer the information. Surprises on a vacation can be a bummer so it's best to be informed.

Makes sense. I will definitely ask about it and hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Can you tell me more about the Central FL diving? I am planning a Blue Grotto or Devil's Den day for sure. We are interested in seeing manatees for sure, granted I don't thing you can dive with them since I know they are very protected.
Both of those sites are totally doable in a day since they are right across the street from one another, I personally don't do it both because of cost (they are each $35-40 per diver) but it may be worth it for you to check it off your dive bucket list. If you're out doing one of those sites, Rainbow River is about a half hour south of Blue Grotto/Devil's Den and is a much cheaper drift dive ($5 park entry, $10 to take the boat upstream) - you'll want to be here before noon for the boat. For manatees, you'll probably have better luck snorkeling in Crystal River since they tend to avoid bubbles, but I believe you can also dive Blue Springs with them. They are protected so you can't initiate interaction with them unless they approach you first.

You should definitely do an ocean night dive! If you have trouble finding a shop or a boat to go out, let me know. I can get a group together that will help you meet your minimum, and know a couple boats who will do private charters upon request.

Both of those sites are totally doable in a day since they are right across the street from one another, I personally don't do it both because of cost (they are each $35-40 per diver) but it may be worth it for you to check it off your dive bucket list. If you're out doing one of those sites, Rainbow River is about a half hour south of Blue Grotto/Devil's Den and is a much cheaper drift dive ($5 park entry, $10 to take the boat upstream) - you'll want to be here before noon for the boat. For manatees, you'll probably have better luck snorkeling in Crystal River since they tend to avoid bubbles, but I believe you can also dive Blue Springs with them. They are protected so you can't initiate interaction with them unless they approach you first.

You should definitely do an ocean night dive! If you have trouble finding a shop or a boat to go out, let me know. I can get a group together that will help you meet your minimum, and know a couple boats who will do private charters upon request.
I'd forgotten about blue grotto/devil's den. Both are fun dives to do at least once. I've done them on the same day before. As he said, cost is the main concern with doing them both - but they're different enough sites that I think they're both worth doing.

Following closely.

My wife and I are planning to drive down from CT to Key Largo between 12/17 and 12/31.

We are actually planning on being at Key Largo on the 24/25th. Maybe we will cross paths :)

OK I have been silent for a while because the wife and I had a lot of options to pick from and we had to make a tough decision, which ultimately came down to budget. Our plan is as follows:
December 21-22: Pack, and drive to Key Largo
December 23-25: Diving in Key Largo with Silent World Dive Center. We are planning to do 2 morning and 2 afternoon dive trips, with a night dive on the 23d
December 26: Blue Heron Bridge
December 27-28: Diving in Palm Beach area with Pura Vida divers. They are planning to do a blackwater dive Dec. 27, weather permitting
December 29: Heading over to central FL to do Blue Grotto and/or Devil's Den
December 30: Snorkel with manatees / River Drift Dive (location TBD) and head home
December 31: chill out and prepare for NYE

SE Florida more commonly has wind and swells in the winter, making it more difficult to get out. If I am unable to get out of Boynton Beach, I can sometimes get out of Jupiter. If I can't get out of Jupiter, I can often get out of West Palm. If I can't get out of West Palm, it's BHB or riding my bike for the day.

I like your itinerary. Get the long drive to Key Largo done first, dive the salt water locations, and then rinse your gear in the freshwater locations as you head home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom