Help Us Plan Our Dive Roadtrip: Augusta GA to Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I are brainstorming a winter break dive trip over the holiday week (December 20ish to December 28ish). After balking at the price of flights to some affordable liveaboards, we are thinking of doing a road trip to Key Largo, with some diving along the way. We would start out in Augusta, GA and drive pretty much due South along the Atlantic coast. We plan to do two days of diving in Key Largo, but also making a few dive trip spots along the way, like Pompano/Ft Lauderdale, or anywhere else that you may recommend.

The one thing that may be a dealbreaker is that some dive shops may not be running Dec 24/25, which may put a damper in our plans. Also, I hear that the red tide may be affecting the Atlantic side too.

Thoughts on this plan and recommendations for any stops along the way or dive operations in Key Largo?

We are AOW and Nitrox certified FYI.

Hey Mark,

KLDC is running morning and afternoon trips on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Give me a call if you wanna chat and we can figure something out.
Christmas Dive.jpg

We plan to do two days of diving in Key Largo, but also making a few dive trip spots along the way, like Pompano/Ft Lauderdale, or anywhere else that you may recommend
If the site recovers from the decimation perpetrated by the moody aquarium, Blue Heron Bridge is a site not to be missed. Maybe that's what you had in mind already when you mentioned Pompano/Lauderdale?

Sounds like fun. I'll be watching your thread to steal recommendations :D

Florida dive road trip! This is my specialty. :wink: Here's what I recommend:

Drive south on 75 through Central Florida instead of taking 95 all the way down - this gets you through cave country and past many of the springs that Central FL has to offer since the northeast corridor doesn't have much diving. Wintertime is great for diving in Central FL because the springs are 72F year round, and manatees are present in their highest numbers.

North of Orlando between Gainesville and Ocala, Devil's Den is open on 12/24 and Blue Grotto will be open on 12/25. Epcot DiveQuest is also open on 12/25, though it's not everyone's cup of tea and will also need to be reserved far in advance. After Orlando, you'll want to head towards the Atlantic coast to the West Palm Beach area. Definitely do Blue Heron Bridge - despite recent events, it's still a fantastic shore dive that you can't miss and should also be open on Christmas. There are a couple charters running throughout the holidays, I'd do at least one boat and do a drift dive along a reef or wreck out of Jupiter, Boynton, or Pompano. Then make your way down to the Keys.

There will be plenty of options because diving is year-round here, and tourists will be coming in over the holidays to dive. Have fun!

Horizon is my go to in Key Largo, but on the way is allot of cave country, it doesn't blow out much around weather (it can)

Florida dive road trip! This is my specialty. :wink: Here's what I recommend:

Drive south on 75 through Central Florida instead of taking 95 all the way down - this gets you through cave country and past many of the springs that Central FL has to offer since the northeast corridor doesn't have much diving. Wintertime is great for diving in Central FL because the springs are 72F year round, and manatees are present in their highest numbers.

North of Orlando between Gainesville and Ocala, Devil's Den is open on 12/24 and Blue Grotto will be open on 12/25. Epcot DiveQuest is also open on 12/25, though it's not everyone's cup of tea and will also need to be reserved far in advance. After Orlando, you'll want to head towards the Atlantic coast to the West Palm Beach area. Definitely do Blue Heron Bridge - despite recent events, it's still a fantastic shore dive that you can't miss and should also be open on Christmas. There are a couple charters running throughout the holidays, I'd do at least one boat and do a drift dive along a reef or wreck out of Jupiter, Boynton, or Pompano. Then make your way down to the Keys.

There will be plenty of options because diving is year-round here, and tourists will be coming in over the holidays to dive. Have fun!

You had me at "manattees". This sounds super cool and I will have to do more research. Considering I dove the Georgia Aquarium and had mixed feelings, I will probably skip the Epcot DiveQuest. I will have to work on the agenda with the wife/buddy to see if we want to bum-rush Key Largo first and then make our way slowly up, or the reverse.

If I had to come up with a near perfect itinerary, it would be the one oddcanary posted. Just make sure you stop by Jupiter too. Also, you can throw in a dive at Epcot Living Seas at Disney if marine conditions don't cooperate with you.

Wintertime is great for diving in Central FL because the springs are 72F year round, and manatees are present in their highest numbers.

North of Orlando between Gainesville and Ocala, Devil's Den is open on 12/24 and Blue Grotto will be open on 12/25.

Can you tell me more about the Central FL diving? I am planning a Blue Grotto or Devil's Den day for sure. We are interested in seeing manatees for sure, granted I don't thing you can dive with them since I know they are very protected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom