Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heres the ultimate kicker----with the new roc permit requirement-(reptile of concern) as a pet shop owner, I cannot even take a burmese python for FREE from a person off the street unless they have a roc permit, which practically no one has. That means if someone decides--hey--I no longer want this 10ft burmese python that I have---I want to give it to the local pet shop---I CANNOT EVEN ACCEPT IT!--guess what--thats the person that going to go release an animal into the wild because they have no other option. Prior to this--we would get free burms of all types turned in all the time. Literally several times a month. We would take them and sell them, normally to breeders and collectors up north, but now when someone calls and says"hey--I have this burmese python I want to give away to your store" I have to turn them away legally. I have had 2 people drop burmese pythons off at my store in bags on my front doorstep. If anything this new roc regulations is making it harder for pet owners to get rid of their pets in a safe manner. They have an amnesty day, but that is every few months and not well advertised. The whole thing is a mess.
In essence the roc permit has done what it has set out to do, which is stop the sale of reptile of concern animals in florida---it costs $100 per year for the permit and most people dont want to go through the application and inspection. We carry a roc permit only because we still sell roc animals out of state, but since the new requirements, I have sold one roc animal in florida to a permit holder. So mission accomplished!! As far as roc requirements helping the spread of invasives--wont do a thing either way except quell the fears of people who do not know enough about the problem to understand.
Here is another interesting fact to chew on. The most popular morph of the burmese python is the albino. It is widely available for the last 15 years or so and far more produced in captivity than its normal counterpart. If the burmese in the glades came from careless pet owners releasing their animals, why has there never been one single albino caught from the glades population of snakes? One has never been seen, never been caught, not one single specimen. I have heard of a few caught in town sporadically, but these have all been escaped pets, and never has a viable breeding population burmese ever been found close to town.
The media loves scary snake stories almost as much as they love hurricanes. Unfortunately there is very little fact when they report the news. Being south floridians we should know this.

They had an illegal/exotic pet amnesty day this past March at all the zoos. Will they increase this or at least repeat it?

they are supposed to be holding them regularly, but they are so poorly advertised people dont often know about it--

For immediate release: September 10, 2009
Contact: Gary Morse, 863-648-3200; Patricia Behnke, 850-251-2130

Photo: Go to MyFWC.com/Newsroom and click on the headline for this story.

17-foot python seized from Lakeland home

An anonymous tip to the Wildlife Alert Hotline sent Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) investigators to a Lakeland residence in search of two illegally kept Burmese pythons. What was hidden from the world shocked even investigator Daryl Amerson, a 24-year FWC veteran who thought he had seen it all. Amerson discovered an 11-foot-long male Burmese python, dwarfed by its female companion, a 17-foot behemoth of the same species that weighed more than 150 pounds.
Michael T. Hall (DOB 11/20/71) of 1836 Jupiter St., Lakeland, owned the snakes but did not have the required state permit to keep them. The FWC lists Burmese pythons as reptiles of concern, which requires owners to purchase an annual $100 permit. Owners are required to have the pets microchipped and must follow specific caging requirements based on the size of the reptile. They also must keep a written and approved contingency plan in case of escape or natural disaster.
Hall was charged with second-degree misdemeanors for not having the required permit and not having a critical-incident plan. Additionally, Hall received a warning for not having the animals microchipped. The snakes were taken to a licensed facility.
The new rules for captive wildlife went into effect in January 2008. People who owned reptiles of concern prior to the effective date are still required to purchase the reptile of concern permit.
The FWC hosts Pet Amnesty Days several times a year. At these events, people who can no longer keep nonnatives as pets can turn them over to the FWC for placement. The next Pet Amnesty Day will be for reptiles of concern only, at Gatorland in Orlando on Oct. 3.
On Wednesday at the FWC meeting in Howey-in-the-Hills, the Commission directed staff to look at the science behind personal-pet ownership of reptiles of concern and breeding and sale by Florida’s reptile industry and bring back a report at the next meeting in December in Clewiston.
To report wildlife law violations, call the toll-free Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-3922.

Last edited:
They got an 18 foot python from an Apopka home on September 11, 2009...

49208278.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom