Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete.

Great post, and I appreciate you posting this point of interest to me.

I just saw A program on the Discovery Channel about this Huge problem in Florida , and how damaging it is to the Crocodile and American Alligator, I am pleased to hear the authorities are finally doing something about it all!

The American Alligators numbers are exploding in Florida so it must be the Croc's they are worried about. Maybe instead of continued expansion of little used John Murtha Airport and Acorn funding the administration can redirect federal funds for the cause.

a .22 is all you need, I want to try taking one with a long bow i think that would be kinda interesting. I have heard other local hunters claim to see them attack hogs and juvinile gators, and have seen them down in the keys occasionally. The pet stores really need to crack down on who they sell to now we have tons of iguanas and the pithons are starting to get to concerning numbers and i heard there were monitors or kimodo dragons starting to spread a bit in the tampa area

A sharp knife is really all you need. Nothing big.
When you go out into the swamps with a "nothing big" knife to go pith pythons, let me know.

... and i heard there were monitors or kimodo dragons starting to spread a bit in the tampa area
This is great news for people in the Tampa area - no more long waits at the Jurassic Park ride at Universal to watch someone get et by a dinosaur. You'll be able to look out the window and watch the mailman being dragged down by a komodo dragon.
If the mailguy gets devoured on check day before his rounds are finished, there's going to be a lot of Tampans seeing red.

So who is going to start the "Python recipes" thread?
I was reading some of the stuff posted on the Pythons in America website. One of the threads there is Human recipes. They have a Fricassee of South East Florida Marine Scientist listing there that a lot of Burmese pythons are eager to try.

Apparently other species in south Florida are more serious about dealing with this growing problem:

Attachments

• squirrels-lightsabers.jpg
    squirrels-lightsabers.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 114
When you go out into the swamps with a "nothing big" knife to go pith pythons, let me know.
I'll see you tomorrow at the boat ramp. Don't forget your 6" dagger! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom