Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont have anything against people keeping them as pets aslong as they show some form of responsibility. This guy evidently knew the snake was too big to keep inside so he built the pen for it rather than release it or abandon it. As for the ROC permits i think they are kinda retarded for not allowing someone with a roc permit to take a Critter from someone without the permit. if all this was from a couple snakes getting loose from a fire or Natural disaster there wouldnt be near as many in the wild as we see though

[FONT=&quot]For immediate release: December 2, 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Contact: Patricia Behnke, 850-251-2130[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FWC announces continuation of python permit program[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will issue permits for capturing reptiles of concern on state-managed lands in South Florida, beginning January 2010. These permits will expire Dec. 31, 2010. Applications are available at MyFWC.com; click on “Burmese pythons” from the “Quick Clicks” menu. Only qualified applicants will be issued the permits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The first phase of this program began July 17 and ran through Oct. 31. The FWC issued 15 permits for capturing Burmese pythons and other reptiles of concern on specific state-managed lands in South Florida. Ten of the 15 permit holders actually made trips on the wildlife management areas, capturing a total of 39 Burmese pythons. No other reptiles of concern were found. For the 10 who made trips, their original permit has been extended through Dec. 31, 2009. They are eligible to apply for the new permit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The permit period beginning Jan. 1 requires potential permit holders to be Florida residents and to have a reptile of concern permit, digital camera and a GPS unit. They also must have experience in capturing wild snakes, handling large constrictors, euthanizing reptiles and working in remote areas. The permit holders are required to photograph and mark GPS locations, photograph and describe stomach contents of euthanized snakes, file reports with the FWC within 36 hours of capture, and euthanize pythons onsite or transport live pythons to be euthanized at a location with veterinary facilities or deliver live pythons to a reptile of concern licensed recipient. Permit holders will be required to make at least five trips each calendar quarter. They also must visit each WMA at least twice during the year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] “We were able to collect some initial data during the first phase of this program that will help us determine the extent of the population on state-managed lands,” said Scott Hardin, the FWC’s exotic species section leader. “We want to continue allowing experts out there to ensure this exotic species does not spread any farther north in Florida.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The permit holders may work any time outside hunting season and between sunset and sunrise during hunting season on Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA, Holey Land WMA, Rotenberger WMA and Southern Glades Wildlife and Environmental Area. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Burmese pythons are a nonnative species to Florida and to North America, but they have spread throughout the Everglades region, with populations in the thousands. All reptiles of concern may be taken under this permit, although in the first phase of the program, only Burmese pythons were found. Other reptiles of concern include Indian python, reticulated python, African rock python (both southern and northern), amethystine or scrub python, green anaconda and Nile monitor lizard. Reptiles of concern may be kept as pets in Florida, but owners are required to have a reptile of concern permit from the FWC. The license costs $100 per year and mandates specific caging requirements. Reptiles of concern more than 2 inches in diameter must be implanted with a microchip that identifies the animal. It is unlawful to allow them to escape or to release them into the wild.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the application and more information, visit MyFWC.com and click on “Burmese pythons.” If you have a reptile of concern you can no longer keep as a pet, call your local FWC regional office. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-30-[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]PCB/HSC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WBD[/FONT]

NetDoc, I am curious as to your interest in the subject matter although I can posiably relate having stepped on a black snake yesterday while on short cut to lunch. My female co-worker lost three years of her life. :shocked2:

I get all of FWC's news releases. Just doing my part!

We are going on an elephant safari Saturday... wanna come? I've invited Superman...

superteabow.jpg

That's good enough for me. Big game hunting this Saturday are ya? I would love to join but I promised some dude I would work the SB booth at the Florida Dive Show. I hope you bag a big red specimen. :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom