Question Help solve wing alignment issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the problem... I picked up an XS transpac for my kid to use and was planning to put my spare HOG wing on it, but found the slots on the wing are narrower than on the transpac. Any great ideas here? I thought sta, but that would surely be horribly unstable. Bolting the wing and running the cam bands through only the wing would also be unstable I'd think. My only real thing I've thought of this far that might work would be to hot knife new slots in the wing further out....
20220530_131401~2.jpg

I’m not familiar with what a transpack is. Is it some sort of soft plate/pack?
Is that what that thing is at the bottom of the pic?
Why don’t you just look for a cheap used standard backplate to use with that wing? That’s what the wing was designed for.
I wouldn’t start cutting up a good wing just to hack it to something it wasn’t meant to go on.

Transpac was made for the DR center wings, to use these together try an STA, I agree with Eric on cutting up the wing, I wouldn’t.

Transpac was made for the DR center wings, to use these together try an STA, I agree with Eric on cutting up the wing, I wouldn’t.
I would strongly recommend not using an STA. There is no provision for protecting your back from the bolts in a Transpac. The stabilize plates are only for use with doubles.
Unfortunately they are really designed to be used with the crosshair design of the Dive Rite wings and the crosshair on all of their wings is actually there specifically for the Transpac.
I would not use sex bolts to attach wing to the Transpac and then try to hold the tank with the wing. The wing is not structurally sound enough to support a tank for any length of time. The transpac won't care, but you will likely rip that center panel out in a couple of dives from the dynamic stresses of entry/exit/walking around.

I do not believe there is a way to get this to work properly without cutting the wing. Your best bet is to find a used Dive Rite Travel wing and use the system as designed. The Dive Rite wings are designed to actually trap the crosshair with the cam bands so if you wanted it to work properly you would have to hot knife both the narrow section and the wider section but best to just get a Travel wing.

I would strongly recommend not using an STA. There is no provision for protecting your back from the bolts in a Transpac. The stabilize plates are only for use with doubles.
Unfortunately they are really designed to be used with the crosshair design of the Dive Rite wings and the crosshair on all of their wings is actually there specifically for the Transpac.
I would not use sex bolts to attach wing to the Transpac and then try to hold the tank with the wing. The wing is not structurally sound enough to support a tank for any length of time. The transpac won't care, but you will likely rip that center panel out in a couple of dives from the dynamic stresses of entry/exit/walking around.

I do not believe there is a way to get this to work properly without cutting the wing. Your best bet is to find a used Dive Rite Travel wing and use the system as designed. The Dive Rite wings are designed to actually trap the crosshair with the cam bands so if you wanted it to work properly you would have to hot knife both the narrow section and the wider section but best to just get a Travel wing.
Carriage bolts don’t protrude much and I think it’s unlikely they would be felt but agree that the best bet is to find the right wing or a backplate suited to the HOG.

If you don't care you could melt a hole in the cam bands and sandwich the band between the wing and transpac with ss hardware. Then the transpac will take all the load ..
There is no provision for protecting your back from the bolts in a Transpac.

Mine has a cushy pad between the back and grommets...
How else does it work with doubles?

If you don't care you could melt a hole in the cam bands and sandwich the band between the wing and transpac with ss hardware. Then the transpac will take all the load .

Dive Rite has these metal stabilizer brackets to use the Transpac with doubles.

I’m not familiar with what a transpack is. Is it some sort of soft plate/pack?
Is that what that thing is at the bottom of the pic?
Why don’t you just look for a cheap used standard backplate to use with that wing? That’s what the wing was designed for.
I wouldn’t start cutting up a good wing just to hack it to something it wasn’t meant to go on.

Transpac is a harness/soft plate combo.

Dive Rite has these metal stabilizer brackets to use the Transpac with doubles.

Yeah but you still stick the stud through and put a wing nut on it...
It can still hit your back...
The cushy pad is what keeps it from digging in...

Carriage bolts don’t protrude much and I think it’s unlikely they would be felt but agree that the best bet is to find the right wing or a backplate suited to the HOG.
If you don't care you could melt a hole in the cam bands and sandwich the band between the wing and transpac with ss hardware. Then the transpac will take all the load ..

The stabilizing plates squeeze the Transpac back into the channel of the doubles and create the same channel to hide the wing nuts and protruding bolt that you would have in a standard backplate. You obviously don't want to do that with a single tank because you would then have the two edges of the plates pushing against your back which would be very bad for your. While a carriage bolt doesn't stick out much, you would have to use something like a sex bolt so the side against your back is flat and you would then have to find sex bolts long enough to go through 2x grommets and the STA itself.
This is one of those cases where you're going to be spending money to fight to use a piece of equipment that isn't designed for what you're using it for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom