To STA or not to STA, that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a bunch of googlin' and still can't find the answer I'm looking for. I need help deciding if I should get a STA for a single wing or if I should instead look for single wings that don't require it and instead has some other stabilizing mechanism.

I'll be doing a mix of tech + recreational diving, sometimes within a single day (tech doubles in the morning, rec in the afternoon), therefore I'm looking for the most convenient option to swapping out doubles with a single tank, using ONE backplate (it has slots for cam bands) and TWO wings (one for doubles, and one for single).

People have wrote that using STAs is almost necessary if swapping between doubles and singles, but I don't see how this argument is true since it just adds an addtional piece of complexity (it would be much easier to just remove my single tank wing instead of removing BOTH my single tank wing + the metal STA, when switching to doubles).

Thoughts?

For a single tank wing that won't require a STA, any recommendations?

If switching out wings often the easiest is a STA otherwise you are always threading cam straps through the plate, wing and buckles. Compared to without an STA removing two screws is almost too easy...

I have done it both ways. As waterone mentioned, if you are switching wings on a regular basis, an STA is the way to go. If it is a dedicated single tank rig, I prefer to have the tank closer to my body, so no STA.

Only other reason for an STA is if you are diving cold water and want a weighted STA.

If switching out wings often the easiest is a STA otherwise you are always threading cam straps through the plate, wing and buckles. Compared to without an STA removing two screws is almost too easy...
Bingo. This was the missing piece that I wasn't understanding. Thanks!

At that point though, since you’re swapping out wing, STA or cam bands, regulators, and presumably weights (v-weight vs p-weight), it starts to make sense to just get one more plate and skip all the swapping entirely.

When looking at what to buy I’d suggest a wing that doesn’t require an STA, and getting an STA anyway for the above mentioned reasons. Then when travelling for vacation or whatever you can leave the STA at home and just thread the cam bands once and for all.

At that point though, since you’re swapping out wing, STA or cam bands, regulators, and presumably weights (v-weight vs p-weight), it starts to make sense to just get one more plate and skip all the swapping entirely.
Yeah, the "modularity" benefit of BP/W rigs may be oversold. I had an STA-less single-tank rig with steel plate for diving Al80s, and then when I started diving steel doubles I bought an aluminum plate and continued to use the steel plate rig for Al80 singles. I have different things attached to the two harnesses. It's possible the harnesses are adjusted slightly differently for trim in the Al80 versus the doubles. They are just two different setups.

Only other reason for an STA is if you are diving cold water and want a weighted STA.

I dive cold water, and would rather find a place to put lead before using a stay, as it moves the tank further off my back and becomes less stable. With two cam bands I've used a tank on a plate without any type of stay or wing without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom