Help...regular Atomic Splitfins vs "Smoke on the Water", Twin Jet Max

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harakiri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you might have experience with both the regular Atomic Splitfins and the "Smoke on the Water" Splitfins.

I can get regular Splitfins for $110 on eBay (maybe even $70) or the SOTW for $190-$249 at LeisurePro.

So I'm wondering if the SOTW Splitfins are significantly better than the regular Splitfins to justify this price difference? What is the difference in "feel" between the regular and SOTW?

I also have the option of getting Scuba Pro Twin Jet Max fins, as I can get these in a decent SP package (mask, snorkel, booties, fins) at an LDS for $234.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
JP

I'm hoping some of you might have experience with both the regular Atomic Splitfins and the "Smoke on the Water" Splitfins.

What do you guys think?

The last guy who asked me what I thought about Split Fins didn't seem too thrilled with the "help" I gave him...

Todd3.JPG

:eyebrow:

lol! Great photo! :)

I would have never thought of using duct tape that way!

RJP, You turned sliver duck tape into a cross. May be you might walk on water, using the right Split fin.

The last guy who asked me what I thought about Split Fins didn't seem too thrilled with the "help" I gave him...

I agree. Split fins are a fad. Tests done by Dive Rite concluded they have very little motive power. The reason 'you don't get tired' with split fins is... you don't go anywhere.

You'll never see a technical diver in split fins. That was part of what made the movie 'The Cave' a comedy instead of a horror flic. Cave divers in split fins :rofl3:

I am really trying to help you here....buy this, will be last pair you'll ever buy, and save yourself some money. Leave the Split Fins to those vacation divers who talk for hours how good they are :)

ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black

JP - if you're able to find a LDS that would allow you to test the splits vs blades, I think you'll find it a good investment of your time. Some people like splits, obviously others don't. I think you have to choose which is best for you.

Regarding the Atomic variants, it's my understanding that the design is the same but the material is just a bit different (SOTW are lighter).

Scott

Do a search. There have been a couple of discussions as to the difference. The Smokes have a softer blade material and spring straps. Some of the other color Atomics have the same softer material blade. I have seen the Smokes when they first came out at $129 at my LDS.

JP - if you're able to find a LDS that would allow you to test the splits vs blades, I think you'll find it a good investment of your time. Some people like splits, obviously others don't. I think you have to choose which is best for you.

Regarding the Atomic variants, it's my understanding that the design is the same but the material is just a bit different (SOTW are lighter).

Scott

Scott, thanks for your advice. I'll be able to demo Twin Jet Max fins and maybe Bio-fins, but not Atomics. The dive shops around here don't have the Smokes, one staff member told me they had gotten too expensive to stock (selling at AU$350...US$274).

I'm still a new diver, so my only experience with fins so far is with rental Mares Avanti Excel and Cressi Frogs, and diving in tropical waters. The divemasters and instructors I've had so far have all recommended split fins of some sort.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom