Help...regular Atomic Splitfins vs "Smoke on the Water", Twin Jet Max

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a bit confusing... you originally said he didn't.

I guess a "sense of sarcasm" is challenging over the internet as well.

:wink:

I guess a "sense of sarcasm" is challenging over the internet as well.

:wink:

I suppose it is. That's what makes it such a wonderful place.

I have smokes and blades. The smokes work fine for me for most diving here in So Cal. The one area I don't like them for is doing photography. I found I had to move them more than blades to keep me in some positions, where with a blade I can make smaller movements.

BTW, I did my rescue class with the splits and had no trouble towing a 275# diver. Whether they "work" is all a matter of opinion, and your's is the only one that matters. If you base buying decisions on popular opinion, you will be buying lots of gear.

If you base buying decisions on popular opinion, you will be buying lots of gear.

...or you won't be buying any gear at all...LOL!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to order the regular Atomic Splitfins and see if split fins are for me without burning too much money (yup, I got them for $70).

Looking forward to getting into the water and trying out my new fins next week. :)

Cheers,
JP

For splits, if you're looking at the SOTW, also consider the Apollo Bio Fins. The biggest difference for me was the foot pocket. The apollo foot pocket is al natural rubber, and the toes are slighty open... so I found it more comfortable.

For my blade fines, I have Avanti Quattro Excels, which work great. Jet stye fins from SP and other companies are also very good for maneuverability in tight quarters.

For splits, if you're looking at the SOTW, also consider the Apollo Bio Fins. The biggest difference for me was the foot pocket. The apollo foot pocket is al natural rubber, and the toes are slighty open... so I found it more comfortable.

The Apollo is far and away the better fin. Performs better and is more comfortable.

I went to the Smokes because they are positively buoyant. The Apollos are pretty negative.

I use the smokes and really like them. I am a big guy and they push me just fine, I actually find them fast than blades that I have used (with less effort). But as have been stated previosly, to each his own.

As far as the difference between regular atomic splits and smoke, it is all in the spring strap. That is the only difference, that I have found.

As far as the difference between regular atomic splits and smoke, it is all in the spring strap. That is the only difference, that I have found.

Supposedly per Atomic, the different colors have different performances but I sure as heck can't tell the difference in real life. The Smoke On The Water comes standard with spring traps (and the higher price), while the rest come standard with rubber straps and spring traps are extra options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom