Help...regular Atomic Splitfins vs "Smoke on the Water", Twin Jet Max

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am really trying to help you here....buy this, will be last pair you'll ever buy, and save yourself some money. Leave the Split Fins to those vacation divers who talk for hours how good they are :)

ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black

Thanks. The Jets have been recommended to me by a some of the local divers I've talked to.

I should clarify my post by saying I'm not just getting one set of fins to do all my diving. I'll be getting a set of split fins and also blades. Without having tried split fins, I'm also just very curious about how they compare to blades...:hm:

I should clarify my post by saying I'm not just getting one set of fins to do all my diving. I'll be getting a set of split fins and also blades. Without having tried split fins, I'm also just very curious about how they compare to blades...:hm:

Good approach. I've got pretty much at least two of everything in my closet, although my newly certified son's about to take some gear off my hands. I have both a pair of Aqua Lung blades and AA's SOTW splits. Aside from the cumbersome name, I've found I prefer the Atomics. Better performance, way more comfortable and easier to get on and off.

If my kid wants a pair of my fins, he's getting the Aqualungs and I'll be in the market for a new set of blades.

But of course, what works for me may not work for you.

The last guy who asked me what I thought about Split Fins didn't seem too thrilled with the "help" I gave him...:eyebrow:.

I too doubt he was thrilled. Did you scrub the glue off? Probably a lot of those soft little laughs that really say... NOT funny.

I agree. Split fins are a fad. Tests done by Dive Rite concluded they have very little motive power. The reason 'you don't get tired' with split fins is... you don't go anywhere.

You'll never see a technical diver in split fins. That was part of what made the movie 'The Cave' a comedy instead of a horror flic. Cave divers in split fins :rofl3:

In one of the Dive Portal DVD's John Chatterton and Richie Kohler of Deep Sea Detectives are diving a cave and one of them, Kohler I think, is wearing splits. Frog kicking and getting along just dandy. So obviously everyone doesn't think that's funny. Oh well, guess they're not technical divers.:rofl3:

If splits are a fad, the fad has not only lasted 10+ years, but gaining momentum.

Edit: Atomic's for me. I think Kohler was wearing the Scubapro Twin Jets.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Atomics and I have to tell you I'm very pleased with them.

I'm a big guy, diving with a steel 120 and 20# of weight, and I'm able to move very well through the water, with no stress on my bad knee, unlike a paddle fin. I've also reduced my air consumption. My buddy uses the Scubapro Jet Fins, and I had to greatly reduce my kicking cycles per minute, otherwise I'd be swimming away from him before he even knew where he was.

That has me wondering, how is it possible that I'm able to do this when, as previously stated, I'm not going anywhere in my split fins?

I will say to definitely try before you buy, just like any other piece of gear. It's a lot of money to throw down, so make sure you're going to want what you're paying for.

I have only used Atomics Smokes and Apollo Bio fins as far as split fins go. The Apollos were superior in many ways, but they were too negative for me. The Smokes are positive even with spring straps.

To OP: Over 35 years I have used a lot of fins. Split fins work. Maybe not the best choice for all applications, but I as a single tank diver who is often in wicked currents I can assure you, they work.

A lot of those who say they don't work think that way because they don't feel the "burn" you get when kicking a heavy solid plank. Or they don't kjnow how to use them.

Think the old paddle wheel boats versus modern propeller propultion.

The splits don't have low end torque and are not as quick out of the hole. They may actually take a couple flutters to get up to speed. Also, they work best with a tight flutter kick inside the hole your body makes passing through the water. Big energy expending thrusts don't work.

Paddle fins OTOH, are more precise and do much better with alternate kicks. Frogs and reverse to name 2.

I use both.......as splitlip said they each have a place.........

Launching of a Caribbean dive boat for a nice reef dive with the family, splits all the way........

Penetrating a low vis river wreck at 100 feet, SP Lighting Jets..............BTW for this you need a lot more than just the right fin for this..............

There is no right or wrong answer here, just the right fins for you and the particular dive......:)

M

Dive and let Dive...........

I too doubt he was thrilled. Did you scrub the glue off? Probably a lot of those soft little laughs that really say... NOT funny.

No, he actually had a sense of humor.

:eyebrow:

No, he actually had a sense of humor.

:eyebrow:

That's a bit confusing... you originally said he didn't.

I bought split fins.. got pulled into the fad and I regret the choice.. they just don't give the power that I need and want... I orginally bought them when I had injured my ankle quite badly and they were great for me to get in the water with out hurting myself more but now that I am back to normal they just don't get you any where... or any where fast thats for sure. I'd advise another route rather than splitfins Unless you have some sort of knee/ankle injury and need an easier fin... but just remember it doesn't get you any where fast...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom