Help needed ASAP! Perdix AI screen blanked out and computer died in the middle of a dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys. How's everyone doing? Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there with thie COVID-19 pandemic going on.

So here is the update on the situation of my DC.

I've sent the Perdix to NZ via DHL (my own expense), where the SW's Asia repair center is. Rob (Great guy and a pleasure to deal with) took a look at it and the problem resulted from a fault with the main circuit module. Rob will repair the computer and send it back to me free of charge.

A shout to Rob for his quick work and fast turnaround; As well as to the professionalism demonstrated by SW and it's affiliates.

But I am still quite disappointed with the fact it is a relatively new computer with less than 100 dives and there is a fault with the main circuit mondule. Since I have not had the chance to back up all the dives on the DC, I reckon all the dive log data is gone for good.

I have not had much luck with this Perdix AI. A year and a half ago, it was an issue with blue tooth synchronization with my laptop. And now, the main circuit module is faulty and went kaput in the middle of my dive. I guess I just got a lemon from the Perdix line.

Do you have a smartphone? There's no reason to NOT download dive log to your phone after each diving day.
I am not as zealous. LOL. I always download the logs to my laptop once or twice a year.

Hi @CarcharodonCarcharias

Unfortunately, I think sometimes you get a lemon. I had a Teric that went black screen after 5 months/100 dives. It was repaired, lost AI after 2 dives, and was replaced. My second Teric is perfect so far, but just two quick trips and 12 dives before diving temporarily closed. The service from Shearwater was superlative.

Seems like Terics may have had more than its share of problems, hopefully, mostly addressed by now Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

So you just switched to your backup DC and finished the dive no problem...right?

Well, then, loss of your dive logs is due to lack of zealousness.
I was not complaining about loss of dive log. I am just lamenting. I cannot help but find your msg a bit condescending when I am sharing my experience with the technical issue of my DC that is not that old and had less than 100 dives.

If anything, I couldn't care less about losing my logs. But I am way more concerned about my own safety when I am operating an instrument that I am relying on to protect myself went dead under water due to manufacturing. And maybe next time, a fellow diver runs into the same issue, he/she would have an idea of what might've happened and spare him/her some time and effort to fix the issue.

So just because I don't download my logs like you after every dive day (which I am sure not everyone here does), what gives you the right to be pontificating? Just curious?

I was not complaining about loss of dive log. I am just lamenting. I cannot help but find your msg a bit condescending when I am sharing my experience with the technical issue of my DC that is not that old and had less than 100 dives.

If anything, I couldn't care less about losing my logs. But I am way more concerned about my own safety when I am operating an instrument that I am relying on to protect myself went dead under water due to manufacturing. And maybe next time, a fellow diver runs into the same issue, he/she would have an idea of what might've happened and spare him/her some time and effort to fix the issue.

So just because I don't download my logs like you after every dive day (which I am sure not everyone here does), what gives you the right to be pontificating? Just curious?
You know, there are common practices, best practices, good practices, and poor practices. A poor practice would be starting a dive with a dive computer battery that is low. A best practice would be carrying a backup computer. A good practice is planning in advance would you will do if some piece of equipment fails during a dive; this exercise is part of the solo training offered by several agencies, not so you can necessarily dive solo, but so you can be self-reliant. A good practice is to surface immediately if your SPG fails, or your computer. You know you were OK up to that point, so it is not an emergency, but the dive is over. A common practice -- tending strongly toward being a poor practice -- is to keep diving for a while, or to use your buddy's computer.
I'm sympathetic that your computer died. They do that, from time to time. Switch to your backup, or ascend; the dive is over.
Get the computer fixed; you are doing that. I don't see the problem, other than "lamenting" that you lost some dives from the computer's memory. Easy problem to fix in the future. In fact a best practice is daily downloads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom