Help needed ASAP! Perdix AI screen blanked out and computer died in the middle of a dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a smartphone? There's no reason to NOT download dive log to your phone after each diving day.

I guess, I’m OCD about logging dives. I have the apps that I download to and I am old school. I also log my dives in a log book. Currently on #2 of those.

Glenn

Where does this OCD dive logging practice come from ?

I don't log at all. I'm not a commercial diver or airline pilot. And it just doesn't contribute anything to my enjoyment of a dive. I've seen guys literally spend hours on their logbooks. Why?

A "Now that was a nice/beautiful dive - do you know the name of that little critter we saw ?" chat with my buddy in the moment is all I need.

A Shearwater seems like a lot of DC for just recreational diving. It's like using a thoroughbred racehorse to just go hacking. How many Zoops can you get for the price of a Shearwater ?

I don't log at all. I'm not a commercial diver or airline pilot. And it just doesn't contribute anything to my enjoyment of a dive. I've seen guys literally spend hours on their logbooks. Why?

A "Now that was a nice/beautiful dive - do you know the name of that little critter we saw ?" chat with my buddy in the moment is all I need.

A Shearwater seems like a lot of DC for just recreational diving. It's like using a thoroughbred racehorse to just go hacking. How many Zoops can you get for the price of a Shearwater ?

I log digitally with occasional scribbles in a notebook if I want to remember something.

I like seeing my profile, temp, air consumption, etc. Plus downloading is necessary for the tech class I’m doing this year.

Why wouldn’t anyone buy a nicer computer they know works and has great customer service behind it? Suunto had a class action lawsuit again it in the US due to faulty depth sensors.

Here where I dive, we don’t have tropical viz. 50ft is a very good day. Having a very readable computer is necessary. Plus, I’ve got older eyes. Colorful display is much better than black on gray.

Why wouldn’t anyone buy a nicer computer they know works and has great customer service behind it?

Suunto is the biggest manufacturer of dive computers globally. Hundreds of thousands of Zoops see daily service in remote dive operations around the world without problems.

A friend got an instructor job in the Maldives and borrowed one of my Zoops (I still have another two).

A few months later she told me she had bought a fancy new DC. So I jokingly asked if I could have my Zoop back. Her answer was that she still needed my Zoop because it was more reliable. Her new DC battery needed frequent recharging (especially in the Tropics) and would sometimes conk out mid-dive. The Zoop battery lasted "forever" and it just worked. But it wasn't Cool.

She still has my Zoop :(

Suunto had a class action lawsuit again it in the US due to faulty depth sensors.

Sadly, most manufacturers of almost any type of retail product have been subjected to the US practice of legal extortion called class actions.

It is more a comment on the broken US legal system than on SUUNTO. The plaintiff law firms would be competing to "certify" a class, and typically earn more money from the lawsuit than all the class plaintiffs combined. I'm more familiar with this practice of US legal extortion in the corporate securities area. Unfortunately, all attempts to reform these practices fail because of the generous political donations of the US "plaintiffs bar".

Anyone with a faulty DC can return it to the manufacturer for service without any class action lawsuit required. Yet, that was the settlement in the SUUNTO class action ... PLUS the lawyers fees in cash!

Shearwater had better hope that there isn't a second report of a failed main computer chip in the US ... Lawyers lurk here too :)

Well since you asked. I was in aviation both as an airframe and Powerplant technician and also a pilot. In aviation, everything you do is logged on paper as well as digital “log books”. There are notes I wrote back in the 80’s such as “never deploy 40 degrees of flaps in windy conditions on final”. I still add notes when doing my dive logs. I suppose old habits are good ones. Yes a Shearwater is a lot of computer. Best computer out there in my opinion. As far as how many zoops can you buy? Well that would be on you. I am more than satisfied with my Perdix, it’s very easy to navigate, it’s very intuitive, the company stands behind their product and go out of their way to ensure that customer service is bar none “the best”. Again not being a “fanboy” just don’t see any other product out there that can do what a Perdix does nor do I see any company that is anywhere close to Shearwater customer service.

Glenn

Suunto is the biggest manufacturer of dive computers globally. Hundreds of thousands of Zoops see daily service in remote dive operations around the world without problems.

A friend got an instructor job in the Maldives and borrowed one of my Zoops (I still have another two).

A few months later she told me she had bought a fancy new DC. So I jokingly asked if I could have my Zoop back. Her answer was that she still needed my Zoop because it was more reliable. Her new DC battery needed frequent recharging (especially in the Tropics) and would sometimes conk out mid-dive. The Zoop battery lasted "forever" and it just worked. But it wasn't Cool.

She still has my Zoop :(

Sadly, most manufacturers of almost any type of retail product have been subjected to the US practice of legal extortion called class actions.

It is more a comment on the broken US legal system than on SUUNTO. The plaintiff law firms would be competing to "certify" a class, and typically earn more money from the lawsuit than all the class plaintiffs combined. I'm more familiar with this practice of US legal extortion in the corporate securities area. Unfortunately, all attempts to reform these practices fail because of the generous political donations of the US "plaintiffs bar".

Anyone with a faulty DC can return it to the manufacturer for service without any class action lawsuit required. Yet, that was the settlement in the SUUNTO class action ... PLUS the lawyers fees in cash!

Shearwater had better hope that there isn't a second report of a failed main computer chip in the US ... Lawyers lurk here too :)
So sorry you are having such a bad day.

How many Zoops can you get for the price of a Shearwater ?
How many hotdogs can you buy for the price of a filet mignon?

Back
Top Bottom