Help! Need to use drysuit next week - how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
No offense, but you clearly know nothing about drysuits and you can get yourself in a lot of trouble very quickly.

I think he knows enough to ask a lot of specific questions and has a basic idea of the hazards so I don't think that is a fair statement (except the part about getting yourself in trouble fast).
I understand people not wanting to be liable for someone else and being cautious about giving the advice but I don't understand the gleeful cries of "Darwin candidate" and "you are going to die hahaha" that results from posts like this (not the guy I quoted, but others). It doesn't make it sound like you actually care a lot about his well being and doesn't do a lot for getting him to take what may or may not be good advice. The people answering his questions while warning him of the pitfalls of teaching himself are the ones that actually might help him.

ScubaFreak:
No I didn't miss your point at all.
But let me clarify, I'm an instructor, very motivated, love diving, but think the thought of teaching myself something that can be potentially very dangerous, is ridiculous. But from what I understand, even though I have no experience with technical diving, you'd be willing to dive with me on one of your fancy tech dives, all because I was motivated? I didn't realise that tech were into "trust me" dives.
Well I hope your scuba teaching skills are better than your reading comprehension skills because you are missing the point by a mile....and putting words in my mouth also.

Jason

ScubaFreak:
But from what I understand, even though I have no experience with technical diving, you'd be willing to dive with me on one of your fancy tech dives, all because I was motivated? I didn't realise that tech were into "trust me" dives.

How do you get that from his post and how did (fancy??) tech dives/mixed gas dives get brought into this? He replied to a statement you made about nitrox.

This WWW doesn't know S$%T about dry suit diving. But I googled up a number of sources for books on the subject. That would probably be better than this route.

Are instructors more important than books?

Gentlemen,
This thread is rapidly degrading.
Shall we get it back on thread?

I haven't seen a post from Mark for a while. I think most of us are still burning with curiousity about the expected conditions of the dive, why it must be dry and why it can't wait. Mark, are you still out there reading the thread? Can you give a little more insight?

Dearman:
I haven't seen a post from Mark for a while. I think most of us are still burning with curiousity about the expected conditions of the dive, why it must be dry and why it can't wait. Mark, are you still out there reading the thread? Can you give a little more insight?
He was last on at 5.11AM EST today, i guess reading here to see what else came up - however from what i read above, he has 4 days of 10 hours in the pool to get this thing together. If he does that, he'll have more experience (time-wise) in a DS than i have managed to accumulate thus far (working on that) as its only been since the beginning of the year.

Back
Top Bottom