HELP... need cheap Cozumel information.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Help... I was scheduled to go on the MV Spree dive boat to the Flower Gardens next weekend but its been canceled due to hurricane. No chance to reschedule.

Still wanna dive... so I figured I would head to Cozumel for the weekend instead.

Any suggestions on good cheap beach front condos or hotels.... and any good dive ops that might wanna take a diver in need of some bottom time.

Beachfront condos won't be cheap, but for budget minded accommodations not too far south of town I've always been happy with the Superior Oceanview rooms at Villablanca and I've also enjoyed staying at Casa del Mar.

Villablanca superior rooms are running $58-60 on Orbitz, Expedia, etc. Casa del Mar is just a little more but I think right now it's in the $65-70 range.

If you want to be right on the water then look at Caribe Blue or Hotel Barracuda. Both have reasonable dive/hotel packages with their on-site operators.

there are lots and lots of cheap options in Cozumel, some oceanfront and some not. Go to websites like Expedia or Caradonna or BayAdventures for some, others you can get from websites like Cozumel or check with some of the dive ops like www.Papahogs.com or www.aquasafari.com as they have connections with different hotels, but since you are looking at a last minute thing, be sure to check out airfare first.

Thanks for the info... Airfare for next weekend is only $388 R/t from Houston. Also checked out Casa Del Mar and they are $69 a night... so its looking pretty good at this point to book tonight.

Has anyone stayed at Casa Del Mar?

I've stayed at Casa del Mar 4 times in the last couple years. One stay in a 2nd floor ocean view room and the other 3 in the cabanas. I would describe Casa del Mar (hotel section) to be sort of a Mexican island version of a Holiday Inn. Not a resort, but not quite bare bones. Very comfortable, clean, staff is friendly, nice (but not large) pool, never a problem getting a deck chair in the afternoon, on-site restaurant is reasonably priced and just fine for breakfast and lunch. Casa Mission Sur just north is good for breakfast if you've got a later boat, also not bad lunch.

Walk to town is about 3 miles and usually takes us about a half hour. Taxi is $4.

we stayed at Casa del Mar about 7 yrs ago. It was great for us, inexpensive and clean. We did not use the house dive shop, we used Papahogs which is just a few blocks north. We rented a car for the week and drove up to Papahogs each morning and had breakfast there at Hogtown Cafe, did 2 dives, lunch at Hogtown Cafe, did 1 afternoon dive, then drove back hotel. :D

Papahogs has my vote as they have a dive shop, cafe and accommodations all in the same location. And Mike and Margaret and great people.

I've stayed at the Barracuda several times - it's basic but clean and in a great location. Close enough to walk to town for lunch between dives, just a block away from Chedraui if you want to kepp cold drinks or snacks in your room (all have a small fridge). Very reasonable packages and good service through bayadventures.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom