Help me figure out my next pair of fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask 100 people a question on their fin perefence, and you will get 65 different answers, over the course of my diving, I have dove the Quattros-hated them, made my calves cramp, the Slingshots, cool, but I agree gimmicky, though the adjustable spring action is nice, twinjets, I have 2 pairs of these, and the expert zoom ff-9 fullfoot, great for snorkeling, and I keep coming back and diving twinjets, comfortable, accelerate smoothly and fast, manueverable, and depending on color, you can pick your amount of bouyancy from slightly negative to crap these things make me need 4 lb ankle weights! seriously, go to your local dive center, and try a bunch in the pool till you find the ones that are best for you in your price range for speed, comfort and manueverability.

They are on my short list. .
Then you are already on the right track. .
I am just worried about how well they work. .
They work. Bicycles and automobiles have gears. Same concept. .
They just seem really gimmicky..
No, you just get three fins in one. You won't be disappointed. .
Plus they are on the high end of my budget.
I know what you mean! The good stuff always is.

Hi all.

I hate my current fins, so I am in the works for a new pair, but I don't know what I want and I am looking for some feedback.

What I currently wear are a pair of Genesis Response.
( Genesis Response Open Heel Fins from LeisurePro.com)
They just do not give me the response I want. That is when I kick they feel mushy is the best way I can put it. Now I don't know a lot from fins these are still the first pair I bought for OW, and the guys I dive with have recently switched to those super long free diver fins which may be skewing my perception, but it seems I am also putting in way to much effort for the speed I get out of them.

So here I am looking for some advice. Currently I was thinking of the Mares Volo (Mares Volo Power Dive Fin), or the Mares Avanti Quattros (MARES AVANTI QUATTRO FIN).

My budget is around $150. My only other requirement is an open foot pocket in (vs a full foot pocket) and my trip is next weekend. :)

To stem off some quick responses. The best I can do for a try before you buy type of deal is a good place with a 30 day return/exchange policy. While Jetfins are not off the list I am worried that while they are great for maneuvering they will not give me the speed I want, Also the said place with the return policy doesn't seem to carry them.

Thanks to all you gurus. :)

If you want stiff and powerfull just go buy so Jets. They cost less then 1/2 your budget and will last literally forever. They are as fast as your legs are strong In other words if Jets aren't fast don't blame the fins.

Mares quatros are good also and they are a little easier on the legs. Jets are really only good if you dive frequently or do some other exercise.

I just wanted to thank everybody who contributed to this thread :) I ended up going with the slingshots for now. I couldn't resist my inner Gadget Geek. I will be in the pool with them this week and diving next :) Thanks again.

I know it's a little late to add to this thread, but... I would like to say that I've had great experience with the APS Manta Rays...

sure, they might take a little more care than some of the other fins out there (they're rather lightweight which leads me to believe that they are delicate), but there's a lot of positive things I have to say about them [I personally own a pair of Caribbean Blue ones (http://www.apsmantaray.com/product.html)]:

(1) They're very lightweight, making them a great travel fin (I regularly take them with me to the community pool, about a leisurely 22 minute bike ride, in my backpack with my little brother)
(2) They're positively buoyant, making them easier for me to find
(3) The straps are easy to adjust (the easiest way to explain the strap system is a hook and loop system, eliminating the need to worry about dirty/sticking buckles, and the straps themselves give ample grabbing area)
(4) The foot pocket is very comfortable and making it easy to don and doff
(5) They have great power and stability despite their size (don't let that fool you)
(6) They're good at almost every kick out there [frog kicks, scissor kicks, helicopter kicks, flutter kicks, scuttling (that's what it's called when you're staying stationary, right?) , etc.]
(7) They're pretty affordable (usually at or below your $150 budget)
(8) Lastly, they are designed and made in the USA.

Should definitely try them out sometime, if that wasn't enough info already!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom