Help me figure out my next pair of fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekremer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

I hate my current fins, so I am in the works for a new pair, but I don't know what I want and I am looking for some feedback.

What I currently wear are a pair of Genesis Response.
( Genesis Response Open Heel Fins from LeisurePro.com)
They just do not give me the response I want. That is when I kick they feel mushy is the best way I can put it. Now I don't know a lot from fins these are still the first pair I bought for OW, and the guys I dive with have recently switched to those super long free diver fins which may be skewing my perception, but it seems I am also putting in way to much effort for the speed I get out of them.

So here I am looking for some advice. Currently I was thinking of the Mares Volo (Mares Volo Power Dive Fin), or the Mares Avanti Quattros (MARES AVANTI QUATTRO FIN).

My budget is around $150. My only other requirement is an open foot pocket in (vs a full foot pocket) and my trip is next weekend. :)

To stem off some quick responses. The best I can do for a try before you buy type of deal is a good place with a 30 day return/exchange policy. While Jetfins are not off the list I am worried that while they are great for maneuvering they will not give me the speed I want, Also the said place with the return policy doesn't seem to carry them.

Thanks to all you gurus. :)

Go with the Quattro. Some long fins may be slightly faster over a long course than the Quattro but if that is the case it would be due to the full foot design. Personally, I feel that long fins are wrong for SCUBA. The things are clumsy and slow to accellerate. As to the "mush" quotient, long fins vary from flexible to 2X4 grade. A very fast slipper fin which is also maneuverable is the Mares Superchannel. It is slightly more flexible than the Quattro but is as fast or slightly faster.

If you gave a little more info, our responses might be more helpful.
Specifically:
  • Since you are located in Boca Raton we can assume that you're wetsuit diving, right? Drysuit rockboots often necessitate fins with a cavernous foot pocket.
  • Do you wear an unusually large-sized wetsuit boot? Once again, this could restrict your fin choices to those with a large foot pocket.
  • What kind of kicks do you primarily use? Split fins can be nice for the flutter kick, but may not work as well as a paddle fin for the frog kick.
  • Do you find yourself diving in currents? Some fins work better than others in currents.
  • What kind of diving do you do? Are you a photographer, a hunter, or wreck diver? A photographer might be willing to forego speed for more maneuverability. Same with a diver doing wreck penetrations. A hunter might be more interested in speed.
  • Do you prefer a positively, neutrally, or negatively buoyant fin? This can affect trim in a subtle way.

Out of curiosity, why are your dive buddies switching to the long-bladed freediving fins? If the answer is speed, y'all might want to consider slowing down a little. When the pace is slow, I find that I see much more and my SAC rate is better. YMMV.

Hope this helps...

Hi Bubbletrubble good points, let me clarify :)
If you gave a little more info, our responses might be more helpful.
Specifically:
  • Since you are located in Boca Raton we can assume that you're wetsuit diving, right? Drysuit rockboots often necessitate fins with a cavernous foot pocket.
    I am defenatly a WWW that doesn't dive anything heaver then a 3/2
  • Do you wear an unusually large-sized wetsuit boot? Once again, this could restrict your fin choices to those with a large foot pocket.
    Size 8-10 nothing unusual.
  • What kind of kicks do you primarily use? Split fins can be nice for the flutter kick, but may not work as well as a paddle fin for the frog kick.
    I still mainly use a flutter kick, but have been playing with a Frog kick from seeing one here :) Though I have had some light experience with a pair of split fins I hated.
  • Do you find yourself diving in currents? Some fins work better than others in currents.
    Yes I do.
  • What kind of diving do you do? Are you a photographer, a hunter, or wreck diver? A photographer might be willing to forego speed for more maneuverability. Same with a diver doing wreck penetrations. A hunter might be more interested in speed.
    I am currently just a sight seer. My buddies however are all hunters. (they dive something lke these: Cressi-Sub Gara 2000 HF Full Foot Fins, Black from LeisurePro.com if it matters )
  • Do you prefer a positively, neutrally, or negatively buoyant fin? This can affect trim in a subtle way.
Honestly I don't know. I like the buoyancy of my current fins and I think they are negative, but without more experience using a variety of fins this has to be an open thing.

Out of curiosity, why are your dive buddies switching to the long-bladed freediving fins? If the answer is speed, y'all might want to consider slowing down a little. When the pace is slow, I find that I see much more and my SAC rate is better. YMMV.

They are spear fishermen. When they drop down that is their primary focus. Though I guess since I carry the dive flag they should more worry about where I am then me worrying about them taking off like a bat out of hell :wink:

Hope this helps...

Bubble, have you ever heard of a photog wearing long fins, other than free diving whale watchers? You should know ekremer is mixed up with spearos from the git go. Who else would it be? This stuff about fin buoyancy making subtle differences; it must be really, really subtle because I've never noticed it. As to boot size, if can wear the "Genesis" he can wear about anything. No fin is better than any other in current alone. If a fin tests to a certain standard in still water it will have the same thrust and speed relative to current. I'm not just saying this to you; everybody, stop the revolving bull on "current" fins.

Have you considered the Aqualung Slingshots which allow you to choose the grade of rigidity/effort you wish to use on every dive?

@pescador775: I really didn't expect to be chastised for posing clarifying questions. I'll try to address your concerns one-by-one...
Bubble, have you ever heard of a photog wearing long fins, other than free diving whale watchers? You should know ekremer is mixed up with spearos from the git go. Who else would it be?
No, I haven't ever heard of a photographer wearing long fins. The OP did not specifically state that he was a photographer, nor did he reveal that he wears long fins. He only mentioned that his dive buddies have switched to long-bladed freediving fins. I have known some SoCal divers who aren't spearfishermen who use their freediving fins while diving. They prefer the thrust that they get with the fins. My question was based on my own experience. I think it's helpful to note now that the OP is out diving with hunters. It might also be helpful to learn whether these are the only dive buddies that he will dive with. It gives us an idea of the kind of diving he's doing and the features he would value in a fin.
This stuff about fin buoyancy making subtle differences; it must be really, really subtle because I've never noticed it.
The next time you have a chance, I invite you to do a dive with the popular Scubapro jetfins and then, for dive #2, use a pair of Tusa Xpert zoom splitfins. Please let me know if you detect any difference in buoyancy between the two sets of fins. The buoyancy of a fin can alter the trim of the diver. Some divers have to resort to ankle weights to achieve proper horizontal trim. If the OP doesn't care about having horizontal trim, then I agree that, for his purposes, fin buoyancy is irrelevant.
As to boot size, if can wear the "Genesis" he can wear about anything.
I see a big difference between the way my Pinnacle wetsuit booties and some older Deep Sea booties fit into my fin pockets. I have to admit I'm not familiar with the foot pocket on the Genesis fins specifically. My point is that the OP should take his wetsuit booties when he tries on the fins at his LDS. Fit is determined by both boot size/design and foot pocket.
No fin is better than any other in current alone. If a fin tests to a certain standard in still water it will have the same thrust and speed relative to current. I'm not just saying this to you; everybody, stop the revolving bull on "current" fins.
I think you'll admit that some fins provide more "power" than others, i.e., more thrust per kick. There are several factors which determine this "power," but an important one is how stiff the fin material is. This is a personal choice, but I would prefer having fins with lots of "power" when I'm diving in current. I suspect others would agree with me on this.

Have you considered the Aqualung Slingshots which allow you to choose the grade of rigidity/effort you wish to use on every dive?

They are on my short list. I am just worried about how well they work. They just seem really gimmicky. Plus they are on the high end of my budget.

@ekremer: Have you considered the OMS Slipstreams? They are near neutrally buoyant and quite stiff. You can do all kinds of different kicks with them, too.

Nothing is totally out of the question. They look a lot like the Jet Fins though and I am worried about overall thrust. They look like they are really short like the jet fins. I understand they are great for maneuverability and good for thrust, and really popular in the photog crowd. Problem is I have no way to try them out and be able to safely say no if I do not like them :(

Let me just say again thank you all for your help.

You can get a pair of Jet Fins for ~$65 if you look around. I have a pair, and I think they're great. I understand that the ones smaller than XL seem to have a shorter paddle than the XL size does for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom