Help me feel like an actual diver again... XDeep NX Project Wing issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever_Curious

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all!

I was able to find some people posting that they have had similar issues with XDeep's NX Project wing, but was unable to find information on what worked for those people to fix the issue.

For me, I love diving the rig in a wetsuit. I can maintain great trim and the fit is excellent! However, wearing a drysuit and especially adding deco bottles causes me to be unable to keep a horizontal position and I just end up either finning to stay in position or doing a handstand...

I've tried multiple different things trying to counteract the issue from adding weight to the bottom of the deco bottle, moving weight along my body, restricting airflow to my feet (drysuit), to the dreaded ankle weights. While these things help me to be able to dive, they make me overweighted and don't get me comfortable again.

Has anyone figured out what might help with this issue? I was thinking of restricting the bottom air cell area of the wing next but thought I'd reach out to the masses to see if anyone has a better idea. Thanks in advance!

Some quick questions:
1) Does your dry suit have boots or socks?
2) Do you feel air trapped in the feet when you dive?
3) Which fin do you use? How much negative are they?

My concern with that "system" is if you go on their website, the banner picture is some dude with what must be 14 pounds of weights strapped to the bottom of his steel tanks. Not a great add for a "tech system" and horizonal trim. So I would guess even the dive models have the same issue you are.

Buy the right tool for the right job.

NX PROJECT - Double tank technical BC System; Tec Wing
xdeep.jpg

@divezonescuba Thank you for sharing the video! I'll play around with some of those ideas. How bad is it that the weight is not ditchable though? I'm sure carrying lift bags would be enough to get me to the surface, but I am still unsure what best weight practices are yet.

Some quick questions:
1) Does your dry suit have boots or socks?
2) Do you feel air trapped in the feet when you dive?
3) Which fin do you use? How much negative are they?

@ginti My suit has turbo soles. I used to get too much air in my feet but have since used elastic bands to prevent too much airflow. I have used neutral fins most of the time but have tried a couple of negative fins. Unfortunately, they did not fit well. I have found that 1.5lb ankle weights do help quite a bit though, so I am looking for some negative fins that would work for me.

@Ever_Curious Is this the first wing you've tried? In other words, have you used a different wing with your drysuit?

@SaltyWombat It was the first wing I have tried. Unfortunately, I hadn't learned this lesson the hard way yet and bought it new without trying anything. I have since used a horseshoe-style Dive Rite and did not have the same issue. If I cannot find an acceptable solution, I'll take my losses and get a different setup.

@jadairiii I agree. I definitely should have paid more attention during my research.

Just get a new wing and move on. If that’s their cover photo I would also assume it’s not you. Why strap weights all over your tanks when you can buy a wing from halcyon, light monkey, oms, dive rite, or dove gear express that won’t need it?

I have since used a horseshoe-style Dive Rite and did not have the same issue. .

Horseshoe or doughnut wing should not be your issue, I've used both extensively and for years, the doughnut wing is far superior, if for nothing else not getting air stuck on one side and having to shift it. If I had to make a wild guess (and based on the website pictures) its the shape and design of the back plate. Just try a standard SS back plate on your wing and see if that makes any change.

They've removed lift from the valve area to allow better access but the result is you're going to be head heavy with no lift near the top of your tanks, especially with a donut wing. I was going to pull the trigger on this wing but decided against it for this reason.

They've removed lift from the valve area to allow better access but the result is you're going to be head heavy with no lift near the top of your tanks, especially with a donut wing. I was going to pull the trigger on this wing but decided against it for this reason.

You could look at their Hydros wing, which appears to be more traditional yet offers the custom colors which I think are cool.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom