Help me choose some regs and gauges.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
We are possibly talking about different gauges.

On mine the face is plastic but the base of the face is also recessed deeply into the brass case. The face is also glued/sealed to the gauge itself, but that is not really any different than what occurs with a glass faced gauge anyway. Also, the boot is not holding the face against the gauge either, it just adds a little shock and impact protection.

In an era where most gauges use a plastic case, the brass cased SP/Uwatec gauges are still leaps and bounds above nearly everything else.

I agree. However,one thing to look at is the spool . Mine, rapidly started to leak due to corrosion. I think the boot is too tight and must be always removed when rinsing the equip. It should be a usual practice but I´ve been using a Mares Mission for more than 5 years and never had any problems. Mission is a bit bigger but seems more rugged.

Arraial:
I agree. However,one thing to look at is the spool . Mine, rapidly started to leak due to corrosion. I think the boot is too tight and must be always removed when rinsing the equip. It should be a usual practice but I´ve been using a Mares Mission for more than 5 years and never had any problems. Mission is a bit bigger but seems more rugged.
That's a good point. My current mini SPG's use the older style boot that is fairly minimal and is soft and felxible enough to easily peel back when rinsing the SPG, especially if you are using warm water.

However, I was looking at picking up another one and noted that SP has switched to a new boot design. It looks to be a much larger and more substantial lump of rubber and could be very hard to remove on a daily basis. Perhaps another case of the marketing gods screwing up a practical design feature in favor of style.

The really silly truth of the matter is that it probably doesn't matter too much what you buy and should probably choose what looks cool and has a good price as long as you stay within the bounds of buying a major manufacturer's stuff.

I would be comfortable diving recreationally in tropical water with the entry level current model - and even recently discontinued models - of any of the following manufacturers - USD/Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares, Sherwood, Zeagle, Dacor, Genesis, Oceanic and I am sure I have missed a few. There are other great reg manufacturers - Atomic and Apeks to name two - but from my shorter list each manufacturer has an entry level model you can buy online for less than $200- usually considerably less than $200. You will not have any problem getting those off the list serviced in the foreseeable future.

Of my list, many experienced divers stay away from the Dacor and Mares for political reasons - they don't like their distribution and parts policies/history - but performance and value at entry level is good for both. If you are using this once in a blue moon and are not obsessed with maintenence (tsk tsk) you might want something that is bulletproof like the Sherwood Brut but reputation is that performance is not as good as the others- what it has in it's favor is that it has a bleed air system in the first stage which keeps seawater a.k.a. crud out of your reg, which means if you don't service it quite like you should you're still probably alright. If you think performance might be a bit more important to you, Genesis has a similar system but test out better performance-wise. The other thing about Genesis is you can get a warranty backed by the manufacturer even if you buy online - some think this is a big deal, others don't.

You certainly are not going to go wrong if you were to choose the Aqualung Calypso (current model) or any 2nd stage along with the Scubapro Mark 2.

In summary, the world truly is your oyster, my friend, when it comes to choosing that entry level reg. So many are so capable - use my list to stay in bounds so you don't end up with Hangdog Scuba's latest experimental model and you will be fine.

As for gauges I will say that for me the regular size gauges are preferred because I find the Scubapro mini-gauges harder to read - especially with a little fog in my mask and/or poor vis. The normal sized ones are also currently cheaper. What manufacturer for the gauges? Who cares - they are all made by the same little gray-haired man in Italy anyway. Find a configuration that you like and go with that.

Have fun!

That does not seem to fit your budget but I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed with it. you willnot be buying again for a while.

whatever brand you are buying ...avoid Seac-Sub Diamond Ice!!! Go with ScubaPro !!! I am using the Seac-Sub now and seriously thinking of selling it off !!! By the way...any good recomendation for divemaster course in Thailand!!!

Scubapro and Aqualung both make good regulators .... MK2 and the Titan are reasonable priced but if you are going to stay with the sport I would suggest getting a better model that is balance. Stay away from Dacor/Mares who have gained bad press for not supporting their written "lifetime" warranties for parts and service. see thread www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html for more details.

Kettle:
Hi, I'm looking to get a set of regs and gauges. I'm after something quite durable and simple. Doesn't need to be fancy at all, just functional. I will be diving in the tropics. Thanks in advance.

hi,
Like you 6 months ago I was also has been looking for a reg. After usiing 2 USDivers reg. Calypso6 and later the SE2. I have finally change to Scubapro MK25 G250. doing a lot of research in this thread and having compared a lot of prices from Mares/ Apeks . I think Mk25 is a bit expensive but a very smooth breathing reg, though I think its going to be worth it. And if your going to dive for a long time, go for the Scubapro.( just my advice )
For the gauges, go for the regular sized Mares or Suunto gauges. Better view underwater even if the visibilty is poor, unlike the small gauges they have now.

scubapro50:
MK2 and the Titan are reasonable priced but if you are going to stay with the sport I would suggest getting a better model that is balance.

you can get a version of the titan with a balanced second called the Titan LX Same second as the Legend without the adjustment.

Titan LX - Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking. Simple & easy to open and clean if you beach dive

Aeris Atmos 2 Computer - Simple & cheap

Diverite SPG, LARGE BRASS - Got rid of my console and the plastic Aeris SPG. This bugger is bit heavy, but I love it. Very easy to read.

Back
Top Bottom