Help me choose some regs and gauges.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kettle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get a set of regs and gauges. I'm after something quite durable and simple. Doesn't need to be fancy at all, just functional. I will be diving in the tropics. Thanks in advance.

For a simple, durable and quality reg that you can get serviced almost anywhere on the planet, the Scubapro Mk 2 R190 ($245) or Mk 2 R390 ($329) is hard to beat. The R390 is smaller but offers no real advantage over the R190 as the two are internally identical. In fact the R190's larger diaphragm offers some mechancial advantage. But some people think it's cool to have a smaller second stage and pony up the extra bucks to be more stylish.

I also like Scubapro's mini depth and pressure gauges ($153 for the 2 gauge combo). They are more compact than traditional gauges but are still easily readable and the smaller size and light weight are great for traveling.

SP dealers can discount 10% below MSRP on their regs and gauges and most of the smart ones will do so if you ask them. The really smart ones will do so before you ask them.

Scubapro is a good way to go especially if you are staying warm. Quick make your decision before everyone comes in and confuses the heck out of you. But they have a good warranty, and they are easily serviced. The price is right and I would also recommend the gauges as they are less clumsy under the water.

The non balanced piston scubapro regs are pretty bullet proof... another option would be a balanced diaphragm like the Zeagle Envoy. By the time you put that together in a package, the price would probably be about the same.

There... if you didn't buy one in the last 10 minutes... now you're going to be confused! :wink:

Kettle:
Hi, I'm looking to get a set of regs and gauges. I'm after something quite durable and simple. Doesn't need to be fancy at all, just functional. I will be diving in the tropics. Thanks in advance.

The Scubapro MK2/R190 is a great start at $160-$200, R-190 Octo $84-100, Gauges: VIP 3 gauge $170 (I own), VIP 2 gauge $140

Oceanic's Alpha 7 or new Alpha 8 $150-$220
Alpha Octo $70-$99, Gauges: Combo $110, Navcon $139 (Son owns)

Zeagle Envoy $195-$250, Octo $100.00

Apeks AT20 $250-$325, Octo $100+

Aqualung Titan LX $255-$325, Octo LX 135+

All lower prices are out of Leisure Pro and the second your local dive shop. I recommend buying from your local dive shop as much as you can if you are a new diver. I have been going to my local dive shop for over 20 years and it’s the best diving accessory you can buy. I have purchased gear on LeisurePro.com that my local dive shop doesn't carry and have been very satisfied with their customer service. If your LDS has what you want please buy if from them and you will have a dive buddy for life. I do buy a lot at LP but they won't mind much if they don't carry the product. After a decade or two they may even ask to try your rig to see if they should start carrying the line.

There's some really exciting new technology out there that you should seriously look at before you buy your regulator. Oceanic has come out with what's called "Dry Regulator Technology" that prevents water from entering your first stage even if you leave the dust cap off. Check out their info: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_regulators_delta4.html

I sound like an infomercial for Oceanic but I swear I have no affiliation. I'm just glad that someone finally came out with a solution to the flooded 1st stage problem. I saw a demo of this at DEMA and was really impressed.

Cheers,

PF

DA Aquamaster:
I also like Scubapro's mini depth and pressure gauges ($153 for the 2 gauge combo). They are more compact than traditional gauges but are still easily readable and the smaller size and light weight are great for traveling.

I've used Scubapro's VIP (mimi) gauges and have never had any problems. On the other hand, I seen quite a few flooded ones - the problem is that the VIP are plastic faced and the plastic is glued and held by the gauge "boot". IMHO I would choose a more rugged design. If you live in a tropical clime, the plactic can age and become yellow/cloudy and obscure the gauge face (granted this would be after MANY years but I have seen this).

After lots and lots and lots of research (at least 40 hours), I have decided to buy the Apeks ATX 50 for my primary, long hose, and AT20 for my secondary. Standard SPG. Computer on the wrist. If you're only diving in warm climes, you might just like the TX 20 for a primary. But that's just my decision. Your own diving growth might be different.

You should research each configuration you are thinking of, and figure out what's best for you. It took me many many hours to settle on something that I thought was right for me, and where I am going in diving. After reading in so many threads here, I don't want to buy equipment that I'll just be replacing with something else after I move to the next stage. If you can try it out first, do that.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but everyone has their own preferences. The suggestions in this thread will only help guide you to do your own research.

Mike

I'd listen to that scubatoys fellow. He run a good shop, will give you great service, and his advice sounds good to me.

Vie:
I've used Scubapro's VIP (mimi) gauges and have never had any problems. On the other hand, I seen quite a few flooded ones - the problem is that the VIP are plastic faced and the plastic is glued and held by the gauge "boot". IMHO I would choose a more rugged design. If you live in a tropical clime, the plactic can age and become yellow/cloudy and obscure the gauge face (granted this would be after MANY years but I have seen this).
We are possibly talking about different gauges.

On mine the face is plastic but the base of the face is also recessed deeply into the brass case. The face is also glued/sealed to the gauge itself, but that is not really any different than what occurs with a glass faced gauge anyway. Also, the boot is not holding the face against the gauge either, it just adds a little shock and impact protection.

In an era where most gauges use a plastic case, the brass cased SP/Uwatec gauges are still leaps and bounds above nearly everything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom