Help keep a newbie from getting reamed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you care? What's a little crap storm - it's all on your computer screen, not REALLY in your living room. It's only words, not sticks and stones. Words on your computer screen can't hurt you, and once you realize that, you'll find that even in the fiercest crap storm, you can learn something. If words on a computer screen give you pause, what do you think that says about how you'll handle a REAL crisis underwater. Wade in there and form a few callouses on your psyche; it can't kill you, so, like the man said, it'll only make you stronger.

Well, a computer screen can hurt reputations actually. I already have come across a few people here who I would not dive with (and some people representing shops that would put me off ordering from their shop) based on the attitudes displayed in their posts. And for many of them it is fairly easy to figure out their real identity if I could be bothered, due to links on profile pages etc. I've met a number of people in real life too, that post here, so if you come across as an a*** here, chances are I won't want to hang around you in real life :rofl3: Lucky every one I have met, and the majority of posters here are nice :)

Oh yea, and my partner always googles people when he is thinking of hiring them. A few of them he has knocked back because they have posted nasty things on techy forums under their real names and companies! Small world sometimes.

But yea, I personally don't really mind if people attack me here or in real life, pretty thick skin. I'll defend myself if I feel the attack is unwarrented though! Others do not have such a thick skin and can be put off seeking help here if they keep getting snarky replies. Which I find a shame.

While I completely agree that noob's, both to the board and to diving, deserve to be handled with kid gloves, those members with thousands of posts who have a know it all posting style should know by now that you better be wording your posts in such a way that you do not leave yourself open for flaming.

If you answer questions with BS it should be called BS, no matter what forum we are in. I personally think the post statistics should be displayed, never hidden. I also think anonymous members should have anonymous member for their title, no matter how many posts they have, so all can see they are not man or woman enough to own up to their statements.

If everyone were held responsible for their words the world would be a better place, and the same is true here on SB. I am here to learn, share and enjoy the back and forth of cyber diving. I endevor to express myself in a way that qualifies the contentuous statements I might make, with links to sources when neccessary.

By making this a flame free zone, those anonymous members who are prone to BS are also now protected? How does this protect the noob's?

By making this a flame free zone, those anonymous members who are prone to BS are also now protected? How does this protect the noob's?

I agree with your post mostly. With this last statement though, I think you can disagree with someone, even quite vehenemently, without being disrespectful. Many members here manage it very well. A few frequent posters stand out in my mind as people with strong opinions but who don't make you feel stupid for posting noob questions and who disagree with other posters who post stupid things without being rude about it. Most people here are really good actually, towards new divers. On diving topics I have asked about I have only had a few people be rude to me, but some of the posts were deleted... the responses to some posts I have made in the Pub are a different story :rofl3: But you have to opt into that area so can avoid the flame wars if you want. :)

I think you can disagree with someone, even quite vehenemently, without being disrespectful. Many members here manage it very well.

I also mostly agree with your post, and strive to move closer to being that kind of member, but I think that some of the members I would put in that category have been censored unnecessarily for calling BS in the recent weeks leading up to this over reaction (in my opinion).

All we really need to do in that regard is just enforce the existing terms of service equally and fairly across the board.

I also mostly agree with your post, and strive to move closer to being that kind of member, but I think that some of the members I would put in that category have been censored unnecessarily for calling BS in the recent weeks leading up to this over reaction (in my opinion).

All we really need to do in that regard is just enforce the existing terms of service equally and fairly across the board.

Most of the time the flame wars start very small, and grow to get ugly. At some point, the MOD's get involved and most of the time, in the end stop the issue, and leave people on both sides feeling bad.

As these rules only effect two areas of the board, there are still lots of places to act as you see fit.

Here, if you think something is BS....you can question it, you can respectfully disagree or you can post your position...and yea, everyone gets treated with respect.

Most of the time the flame wars start very small, and grow to get ugly. At some point, the MOD's get involved and most of the time, in the end stop the issue, and leave people on both sides feeling bad.

As these rules only effect two areas of the board, there are still lots of places to act as you see fit.

Here, if you think something is BS....you can question it, you can respectfully disagree or you can post your position...and yea, everyone gets treated with respect.

I fully agree with this stance. To get away from the OP's original question for a second, it has been questioned about how, in the "nicey-nice" areas of scuba board, will the Noob's learn anything if BS can not be targeted. If someone is spewing BS out of their blowhole, we as members still have the right (and a duty to in my mind) to call them on it in a respectful manner - in any forum. The problem is that far too often people would draw their guns and start firing immediately and this just expedited the flame wars. If it is done in a respectful and courteous manner, we can call people on almost anything. And, vice versa, they can call us. In fact, it is ONLY by us doing this, that the Noob's will be able to get to the truth of "the matter" and learn something.

The most effective communication does not involve flaming, respectful corrections are accepted and not normally taken as attacks. Respectfully disagreeing and politely expressing a difference of opinion with your reason for your position are more likely to get your point across. Others reading are also able to evaluate the positions stated and come to conclusions based on facts rather than raw emotions. Everyone wins in this situation. The shy or thin skinned then are comfortable to ask their questions, state opinions and once again everyone wins! This should be the prevailing attitude here. Glad to see some effort here. Glad enough to give SB one more chance

Lest the thrust of our efforts here be misconstrued. We are not out to eliminate controversy. In fact, without some level of controversy we are insipid and darned near useless. It's important that we allow ALL of these differing opinions to be voiced in such a way that no one feels intimidated by the school yard bullies. While "reaming" someone on this forum might feel cathartic for the poster, it only serves to inhibit communications.

There are only TWO ideas that we hold to be sacrosanct here on SB. Don't ever suggest that you should learn how to Scuba without an instructor or that you should venture into an overhead environment without the proper training. After that, we have a veritable diving free for all.

We are not out to eliminate controversy. Without some level of controversy we are insipid and darned near useless. ALL of these differing opinions to be voiced ...

There are only TWO ideas that we hold to be sacrosanct here on SB....

Two, um... no, three, right three ! :spaninq:

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom