help in choosing a backup computer please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, husband dives an Aeris Elite T3, and I dive the Aeris XR2 i want to get a backup wrist computer......basic, but must be nitrox. how important is it to stick with Aeris so the algorithm is same or similar? if i choose the Aeris manta......how do i tell if it's the "old" model or the "new' model when i'm looking at it online? does Mares use a similar algorithm to Aeris? thanks for any advice. hurry please as i have a trip coming up soon:) thanks!!!

My personal, totally unprofessional, opinion is that it's rather important to have to same algorithm. If you have a conservative back-up (The Aeris is NOT conservative) you could find yourself in a position where the Aeris says your fine and the back-up says you've gone into Deco

You can see chamber tests here (from Scuba Diving magazine in 2008 when your XR2 was reviewed) You can see that the Mares is notably more conservative than the Aeris, based on these tests, the Mares looks to be just about a conservative as you get:

http://www.scubadiving.com/files/old/images/pdf/200806_chambertest.pdf

You can see the difference between new and old at Leisure Pro. If you really only want the Manta for a back-up then going with the old version and getting a nice discount may be the way to go.

Not that it in any way matters but If it were me, I'd get the new one and relegate the XR2 to back-up duty

new
AERMN.jpg

old (it is even labeled as such in the product name)
AERMD.jpg

Thanks for your speedy helpful reply!! So, what are the differences in the old and new manta?? Thanks again

My personal, totally unprofessional, opinion is that it's rather important to have to same algorithm.

There are broadly two schools of thought: my equally unprofessional opinion is that it is good to have your backup running a different algorithm. People argue virgorously both ways, but I acknowledge that the "same algorithm" camp is larger. Just call me Maverick.

Pretty soon there will be about forty replies arguing it both ways.

ok, decision made. I ordered the new Manta, and will use it as my primary and let the XR2 be the backup........ i'll definitely check out the online class for it DiveNav!!! thanks!!!!

ok, decision made. I ordered the new Manta, and will use it as my primary and let the XR2 be the backup........ i'll definitely check out the online class for it DiveNav!!! thanks!!!!

You are welcome

i got my new manta computer yesterday! yippee!! i've emailed scubatoys to see if they have the activation code for me so i can take the enrolled training class free.

Back
Top Bottom