New dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that Shearwater Perdix ai comes highly recommended. However, I do not intend to go tec.
Nor do I. Strictly recreational diver, but I liked a lot of what the Perdix offered.
And the $300 price difference I received on the i770r was definitely nice. I know normally the Perdix ai and i770r are similarly priced.
Yeah, that would be a nice incentive. The i770r does look nice.
Already owning 3 MH8A transmitters negated that additional cost as they work with both DCs.
This was a big part of my decision as well when I was looking. Any computer that used a proprietary (non-MH8A, Swift was not yet available) was removed from the list. I already had an Oceanic branded transmitter that worked just fine, so I saw this as a ~$300 savings.
Shearwater do a hosed computer? Wrist computers are the way to go. No big brick!
Sort of. There is a console mount for the Peregrine. Not my style, but I could see it being an option for some.

Would the VAT not run the actual price up?
The prices indicated in the European site include VAT. I think if your order from the European site and ship to the US, your prices will be about 20% less?

AFAIK, prices advertised in Europe generally include VAT different from the US where they don't include sales tax which is added later.

I’m struggling with a similar dilemma… I can get a new i770r with transmitter for $625 which is very tempting. A Peregrine is $425 but I definitely want AI, and a Perdix would cost me double that.

I’m struggling with a similar dilemma… I can get a new i770r with transmitter for $625 which is very tempting. A Peregrine is $425 but I definitely want AI, and a Perdix would cost me double that.
Do you really need AI?
I do not use SW nor AI but I can see a saving of $200.00(not including the purchase of an spg).

I already have an SPG and a Crest CR4. It's purely an indulgent purchase, but I'd like to see some added functionality apart from the pretty colour screen.

I already have an SPG and a Crest CR4. It's purely an indulgent purchase, but I'd like to see some added functionality apart from the pretty colour screen.
I totally agree on the AI. It's not necessary, but is really nice to have.

One point in favor of the Perdix. The Crest and Perdix both run Buhlmann, so as long as you can tell what settings Crest used for the different conservatism, you should be able to match those very closely.

The Aqualung uses PZ+ which is based on Buhlmann, but not exact.

Given the price difference, I don't think that's enough to justify the extra cost. Another import factor is service should you need it. Aqualung is well established all over the world. I'm not sure what the dealer and service availability for Shearwater looks like in Malaysia.

$625 with the transmitter is a fantastic price!

Ugh. Hosed computer? Why?!

The Perdix is an excellent computer for ANY diver who wants a good clear and large display. Doesn’t matter a hoot if you’re not going tech. Takes an AA battery you can get anywhere and change yourself.

Shearwater do a hosed computer? Wrist computers are the way to go. No big brick!
I just like the idea of a backup dive computer that works if the transmitter goes out while still providing me the same benefits as the wrist computer as opposed to just an spg. I consider myself to be a new diver. I only have 12 dives. So, all input and opinions are highly appreciated. Do I not even need to worry about a backup to my wrist DC? Should I just carry a save a dive kit to get the transmitter back up and running and abort a dive to repair and then get back to diving? Thoughts?

I just like the idea of a backup dive computer that works if the transmitter goes out while still providing me the same benefits as the wrist computer as opposed to just an spg. I consider myself to be a new diver. I only have 12 dives. So, all input and opinions are highly appreciated. Do I not even need to worry about a backup to my wrist DC? Should I just carry a save a dive kit to get the transmitter back up and running and abort a dive to repair and then get back to diving? Thoughts?
I dive sidemount with a transmitter on each of my two tanks and two Perdix, one on each wrist. I cave dive like this. No backup SPG on my tanks. It’s becoming fairly common to cave dive this way.

I have SPGs in my save a dive kit if needed. But I also keep spare batteries.

But I also follow gas planning for my level of cave cert, so I’ve always got enough to exit.

For open water diving, I also gas plan. Since I’m usually with single tank divers, we determine their turn around pressure and they turn the dive. I’m alway diving sidemount, so I’ve always got more than enough gas.

I never agreed with this running your tank down to and making sure you’re back at the boat with 500. That’s also not my diving.

Do some sort of gas planning and if a transmitter goes out it’s not the end of the world. The SPG and a wrist computer is much better than the hosed monstrosities. I hate consoles with a passion. I always see them locally not being clipped off and often floating wherever behind a diver. Why do you want to dive with a brick?

Do I not even need to worry about a backup to my wrist DC? Should I just carry a save a dive kit to get the transmitter back up and running and abort a dive to repair and then get back to diving? Thoughts?
Having a backup to your wrist DC is a good idea. Most people backup their wrist DC with another wrist DC. My first DC was an AI console. At the time I was used to that as I previously dove with a 3 gauge console. So the hose mounted DC (Oceanic PP2) was a bit smaller. Once I went to wrist mount AI, I realized what I had been missing, I don't see myself going back to a console.

As I said, having a backup DC is a good idea. Especially if you do dive trips and/or multiple dives a day. A failure of the primary DC, can end the dive day prematurely. That's annoying especially if you've paid for the dives.

Back
Top Bottom