Help Improving Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

I am new to U/W DP and sometimes have a hard time figuring out if I got the most of each image with photoshop work.

For instance the before and after pictures below. As you can see the original shot is not very good, light was flat, and water vis was milky. Another problem is that the subject is far.

After running some corrections, I got the after pic below. I do like the colors, but it looks pretty grainy.

Do you have any suggestions?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

1158128798_P1010025_original.jpg

1158128829_P1010025_after.jpg

1158128848_P1010010.JPG

1158128862_P1010010_after.jpg

Check the BPI (Bits per Inch) or resolution of your photographs. If you use a higher BPI you will get a clearer picture. The downside, it takes up more space on your card.

Frankly, it looks like you're doing pretty well on your own.

You should realize, however, that PS magic only goes so far. White balancing, and taking pictures from closer, in better conditions, is going to result in better pictures even without photoshop. The better the source, the better it will look after photochopping it.

What camera? Do you have ability to white balance underwater or use a filter or shoot raw? A strobe would bring out more color in closer shots. For these kind of shots, go wide angle and get as close as possible. These things will improve the original image and require less manipulation.

Steve B

That's some pretty good editing. You could try a plug in like Noise Ninja. Or you could try using the blur function.

The mantra that matters the most in underwater photos is: GET CLOSE!!! and then get closer yet!! Water really diminishes the available light. I try to get within a couple of feet if possible. You might try to a white balance if you aren't using flash for the depth the photo is taken, that should help.

Your EXIF info stated the that no flash fired. If you get a off camera (not on or right above) it will help to light your shots as well.

Thanks everybody.
I am considering getting a strobe now.

My camera is the Oly sp-350.

As far as white balance, should I do it when I get to the bottom with a white slate?

When you say "go wide angle", do you actually mean adapting a wide-angle lens to my camera?

Sometimes I take RAW pics also. As I am a noobie I try taking different kinds of pics: raw, jpeg with auto settings, jpeg with manual settings, etc...

Thanks for all the advice.

are you processing the picture directly or via layers?

I would always recommend taking in RAW if you're taking available light shots like these (i take RAW 100% of the time). Then you don't have to worry about white balance until you are at the computer and have time. But of course like others said close close close and then get a little closer. :wink:

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom