Help Identifying Older Scubapro 2nd Stage Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just messing with ya! The 109/156 is pretty simple. Be careful removing the orifice (screws out from the outside through the hose connection), and it has a delicate "knife edge" on the inside face. See the DIY guys for technique/tools. The poppet will only come out the other side if the lever is completely down. It has tabs on it that align with the feet on the lever. Note the orientation when it comes out.

Have fun!

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 03:44 PM ----------

P.S. - do not bend the lever!!!!

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

Another comment; Get the book (there are two great ones), both are awesome!

There's no reason to replace the poppet, balance chamber, and spring unless they're damaged or you're upgrading from an earlier set of internal parts.

If you are having a 156 shop serviced there's no reason not to have them replaced. Msrp for a poppet w/ seat and orings, spring, and balance chamber is $20.40. I believe a g250/156/s600 kit will set you back $20 and it will only have a seat and orings, 4 of which are useable in a 156. Seems like a no-brainer if you ask me.

Hello Rene,

I too wish you a warm welcome to the Dark Side. You've gotten great advice so far. Here is another resource you should look into especially if you haven't been able to get into the Frogkick web site.

Go to Vintage Double Hose:
Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose --> Manuals and Catalogues-->Continue-->BLPEN162-->page 2-->ScubaPro schematics, Parts, Service

Find the file you're interested in and download them. I suggest starting with the files "ScubaPro poppet changes" and "109 250 adjustment principles" ...good info and loaded with pictures of cutaway visual aids.

After you pull your 109/BA apart, post pictures of the parts and we can get a better idea of what you'll need. BTW Vintage double hose sells service kits for lots of regulators including yours.

Later,

couv

If you are having a 156 shop serviced there's no reason not to have them replaced. Msrp for a poppet w/ seat and orings, spring, and balance chamber is $20.40. I believe a g250/156/s600 kit will set you back $20 and it will only have a seat and orings, 4 of which are useable in a 156. Seems like a no-brainer if you ask me.

I wasn't advocating buying a G250 kit either. All you need is a seat and a few o-rings; the seats are available separately for a few dollars.

I wasn't advocating buying a G250 kit either. All you need is a seat and a few o-rings; the seats are available separately for a few dollars.

Any place you recommend for the seats?

I bought several from a sympathetic SP dealer that is not in the U.S.. Trident carries rivet-style seats that work fine.

Last edited:
I've got a mkv/109 coming to me in the mail and am now considering a diy. However my lds (very good shop) said to bring it on in and it would be $48 to service both stages. If I go this route is that reasonable? This is my first time reg purchase. I wouldn't mind a tech looking it over and then I learn to diy next service. Sorry to thread jack!

Sent from my Galaxy S III

I've got a mkv/109 coming to me in the mail and am now considering a diy. However my lds (very good shop) said to bring it on in and it would be $48 to service both stages. If I go this route is that reasonable?

If that includes parts and labor for a MK5 and a 109 it's very reasonable. Two caveats; one, the tech needs to be familiar with these regs, many are not, and two, there are upgrade parts for the 109 that are likely needed, and that will probably push the cost a bit higher. You could leave the 109 unbalanced, in which case it probably needs a duro poppet and maybe a new lever, or convert it to balanced, in which case it needs the s-wing poppet, balance chamber, and new spring, plus the possibility of the new lever.

More likely that price is labor only. Still not too bad.

Labor "usually" runs in the $25 a stage + parts, so you are likely in the ballpark (but I'm thinking parts will be extra). Make sure the MK-5 is the "heavy yoke" if you are using 3000 psi tanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom