Help Identifying Older Scubapro 2nd Stage Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe some early versions of the 108 use 2 exhaust valves, in series, to prevent wet breathing. I suspect that improved valve materials made that unnecessary.

I believe some early versions of the 108 use 2 exhaust valves, in series, to prevent wet breathing. I suspect that improved valve materials made that unnecessary.

Hmm, mine must be a real collectors item then. Probably worth a small fortune. :D (And yes I am being facetious.)

Thanks.

View attachment 152617

Hard to see but I stuck the screwdriver through to give some perspective.

View attachment 152618

By the way, sorry about the hijack Rene.

.....I'm afraid Halo is right. Two exhaust valves in series. Might be time to start new thread in the DIY section while we try to sort this out. I think the outer spider unscrews from the housing. Better give it a very long soak in hot soapy water then use the Master Awap's hot and cold torture treatment to loosen it up. But first we should research to find out if that spider does indeed unscrew.

Who's damn fool idea was it to service this thing anyway?

I have never had one of those but I recall reading somewhere about folding the new valve up and passing it into the inner chamber. So I don't believe it is threaded. Although the spiders are a bit chewed up, the sealing surface on the outer valve look to be OK. I suggest a good cleaning and try installing 2 valve (although one would probably work fine.) Removing the inner valve will probably require cutting the stem which will mean it will have to be replaced.

A wise man once said:

It's especially crucial to me that all my converted 109s perform exceptionally while they sit in my closet....

Anyway, I don't know that the reg was breathing wet necessarily. I was using it as an octo but got a hold of the "new" adjustable 109 that I had rebuilt and switched the two out. I never really tried breathing the 108 while standing on my head or anything like that - which seems to make my non adjustable 109 gurgle.

I think I'll start with a new seat, o-rings and a cleaning and see how it goes. I wondered if you could change the exhaust valve by folding it between the spiders. Could be a challenge.

That regulator has the old small valve which has a relatively high exhaust flow resistance. Using two valves makes worse and it is not necessary.
When I serviced them (back in the 70's) I always removed the inner valve and it worked better. The customers were happier with the improved performance.

The outer spider is not threaded, at least not on any of the ones I saw.

I may still have one. I will look at it later.

Thanks Luis,

I was hoping someone who serviced a few of these would chime in. I think your idea of installing the valve in the outer spider makes more sense than the inner-especially if the outer one is not removeable.

Interesting - I took it completely apart and not an o-ring in sight. I replaced the 015 in the demand valve body and tweaked the nyloc nut and it seems to be breathing better. It doesn't seem to have an adjustable orifice either.

I'll have to replace the seat. I was going to turn the old one over until I get another one but it's in there pretty good. I'm afraid there may be some Aquaseal in there.

Back
Top Bottom