Help Identifying Older Scubapro 2nd Stage Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Usual Suspects beat me to all the cool info- you've got a nice piece. Well done.

Regulator bigamy. It is not just enjoyable - it is legal.

hmmm, I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a bigamist ... :eyebrow:

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 02:20 PM ----------

That's one of those cool old grey poppets. If you want to unload it after upgrading, I'd happily buy it.

Thank you Six2Life; I am not sure if I'll be upgrading or not. I still need to digest the gist of all the pointers on here regarding that. If I do get rid of the grey poppet, I'll be sure to let you know.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 02:23 PM ----------

Yes, you can DIY seats for those, and it'll cost you a nickel a piece.
Now, before you do anything you'll regret, take a deep breath and read the posts here and here.

Thanks, I have opened those links and am reading them as soon as I read through the comments here.

Oh, and the formal answer to your Q is: you already have a balanced reg., no upgrade required if you stick to your DIY vow. If you have to take it to a tech (bad idea, bad karma), remove the poppet first and send it to someone in need.

Thank you again, and I sure don't want bad karma :no: !!!
As long as I feel I can DIY the seats needed I am fine with using this poppet.

S-wing poppets show up on ebay fairly regularly. I suggest you grab one to get your BA back in service and then take your time working on your spare parts reserve. If you get hooked on the 109s, you will probably end up with a small herd before it is all over. Mine, along with the collection of spare parts will go in my will.

Thank you awap, Fishpie, halocline & couv.

Now I just need to read the links provided and study your posts/comments here to see what I am up to next. I found I have a compression tester with some fittings in my shop so I am going to see if that will serve ok as an intermediary pressure tester.

I didn't take the lever out all the way for fear of bending it, so maybe I am ok on that front.

I do have a question though ... am I correct in understanding the situation as this: If I stick with the hardware I have (e.g. poppet, lever), I need to go to DIY parts for some items, and can purchase some of the other O rings. Whereas if I 'upgrade' to updated parts, then I use factory service/maintenance sets for the O rings. Is that correct?

If I go the DIY, I'm doing as awap did, right?

"8985K125 - 1/16 in. EPDM, duro 80

3424A22 - 9/32 in hole punch"

Thank you Six2Life; I am not sure if I'll be upgrading or not. I still need to digest the gist of all the pointers on here regarding that. If I do get rid of the grey poppet, I'll be sure to let you know.

As much as I'd like to take it off your hands, you really should keep that poppet. If you continue to fully go off the DIY deep end you'll regret getting rid of it. I just get jealous every time I see someone post an ebay or garage sale find that has one. For all the used regs I've bought, I just can't seem to luck into one to build my Mad Max reg set so that if armageddon ever comes, I'll still be able to dive in balanced second stage bliss as long as I can pilfer inner tubes off old decrepit trucks to punch seats out of.

... Whereas if I 'upgrade' to updated parts, then I use factory service/maintenance sets for the O rings. Is that correct?

Nope, there's yet another more cost effective alternative: a Trident seat, part #A148 and a few near-generic O-rings will get you there for a few bucks. Check this thread; this is a known good workaround tested by quite a few of us, and we all seem to be alive still.

If I go the DIY, I'm doing as awap did, right?

"8985K125 - 1/16 in. EPDM, duro 80

3424A22 - 9/32 in hole punch"

You need another 2 mm hole punch for the rivet; they're all over eBay for 5 bucks shipped. Search for watch band hole punch. Or you can probably drill it out.

My 156 with the grey poppet has become my goto reg. :)

S-wing poppets ...

I regret to admit I am 100% sure I don't know what an S-wing flavor of poppet is .... In fact, I think I've seen a couple of different versions of poppets and sheepishly admit I don't have that all figured out.

The grey poppet is or is not an S-wing?

Please excuse my ignorance! I know it can be a pain, but I'm used to it.

Last edited:
I regret to admit I am 100% sure I don't know what an S-wing flavor of poppet is .... In fact, I think I've seen a couple of different versions of poppets and sheepishly admit I don't have that all figured out.

The grey poppet is or is not ​an S-wing?

Please excuse my ignorance! I know it can be a pain, but I'm used to it.

This link is a duro poppet for the unbalanced 109 - at a ridiculously high price: Scubapro "Service Kit" 109 Adjustable 2nd Stage Regulator New Free SHIPPING2 | eBay

This kit has the S-wing poppet and a balance chamber (older kit) - price is also too high: Scubapro "Service Kit" G250 2nd Stage Regulator Up to 1994 New Free Shipping | eBay

I did not see any at a reasonable price. I may be a bit behind the times but something around $25 is reasonable.

Here is one that could go for a fair price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scuba-Pro-R...421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f24104bdd

Last edited by a moderator:
Top = s-wing
Bottom = duro (unbalanced)
Notice the duro poppet looks like your gray one but there is no stem attached (and no place to attach one.)

The advantage you have with the gray poppet is that it can use standard hockey puck style seat-like the duro if that seat is modified by drilling or punching a hole in it. We lovingly call the home made version of the puck seat an "Awap seat" as Master Awap was the first of us to DIY the seats.

What poppet?

1083.jpg1081.jpg1082.jpg

I believe this is an old 108. I'm afraid it doesn't breathe very well though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom