Help identify the coating of LP72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got an old LP72 in good condition now I want to find out how this coating is properly called. I do not have the picture now as the tank is in the shop but it looks gray outside, not solid gray but kind of covvered with spots of gray of different intensities. For me it looks exactly like those zinc covered buckets. The tank reads VOIT on the neck, initial hydro of 1967. If I'm not mistaken it also says 3AA something. the working pressure is 2240 ?

If this make some sense to you how do you call this kind of coating ? I want to get a second tank of the same type and want to send an email to the shops but for that I need to know the type of this coating. Thanks a lot.

It looks like the zinc covered buckets because it too is zinc; that's galvanizing. You're very close on the markings, it says 3AA 2250. Galvanized LP72s are much preferred over non-galvanized. Great tanks.

I'm curious as to why they are preferred. is it an aesthetics thing or is it because of the zinc causing less corrosion?

The galvanization will prevent corrosion/rust much better than a paint coating. There were some that have a plastic coating (I have one of these) that eventually will allow water beneath the plastic coating through a crack or scrape. These will get rust under the plastic coating and be hard to inspect. Some shops will not fill or inspect these plastic coated tanks.

Hot dip galvanizing which is what is on the tank an is the best type of protection that can be put on carbon steel. It is a molecular bond to the steel similar to the bond produced when soldering two wires together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom