Help for a big girl! I'm getting discouraged.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's okay.

Whoever can say whatever they want, and opinions are welcome....everyone has one.

My story is this:

I'm a size 18. My ideal size would be around a size 10-12, as I am about 5'-9". I'm not too bothered by what others feel "makes sense" to them in terms of my waiting to dive.

I am a practiced martial artist, I work out regularly, I have a clean bill of health, good BP and heart-rate and am an avid swimmer.

In all honesty to drop from an 18 to a 10 will take quite a while, and I just don't want to wait that long to get started. I may sell suits on EBay or just eat the cost - whatever. I'll worry about money, budget, logistics and what "makes sense" to me.

Thanks to the wonderful and constructive posts here, I have several leads on suits more in the $70-$170 range.

That being said - I DO need to lose weight, and I will do so, slowly, correctly and in a healthy manner.

Until then - I'll continue to do everything I love to do. Life is too short to wait until you're the perfect size.

BTW - Thanks, Cheddar.

Peace.

Certainly the best way to lose weight is slowly, you did not get it overnight and you will not lose it overnight. However understand that if you purchase a wetsuit that fits you now, you will have to purchase another one later. That being said you will probably find purchasing a new one later because you have met your goal quite rewarding. If you can't find a woman's to fit you, and since you are losing weight don't spend the money for a custom suit now, buy a man's suit. Quite sure a XL or XXL will fit. Good luck and keep up the work.

......Until then - I'll continue to do everything I love to do. Life is too short to wait until you're the perfect size.......

That is awesome. Coming from a diver which definitely does not fit the "skinny" form, I agree whole heartedly. I will be in the market for a new suit (mine has treated me well but is getting worn a bit) in the next couple of years and will possibly be looking to go custom. I will be shopping around a lot for it if I do because I know some of the LDS will see $$$$$$ when I approach them.

Until then, I plan to dive as often as possible, be safe and live life underwater to the fullest.

My wife had a custom made suit and she loves it. Really, custom is the way to go, the cost difference is very small, and with custom you get it exactly right for you.

My dive buddy and I both wear Henderson Hyperstretch. They really do stretch up to 2 sizes bigger than the weight range indicates. They are SUPER easy to get into, too. I had an Akona, and I was exhausted from just getting into the thing - and I was well within the measurements and weight range for the size. Henderson Hyperstretch gets my vote :wink:

Bare goes up to size 18 but check the sizing of their 14 plus, it fits like a size 18-20. Henderson just came out with a line of Hyperstretch that is really great. Good fit, nice colors. Men's suits are just not curvy enough and are generally to long in the leg for a great fit.

Bare's suit really fits like that? My wife will be thrilled. Their size chart didn't imply that, so she went with a mens Bare Velocity stretch suit instead. Still not perfect, though.

From one BBD (Big, Beautiful Diver) to another.....DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY OTHERS!!!

Give Carolyn with Liquidfit (www.Liquidfit.com) a call. I've worn her wetsuits for over 5 years and I LOVE THEM! As an Instructor in the Keys---I'm in the water A LOT and rough on my gear. If you are looking for a BC.....check out the Diva or an BP/Wing.

If you have any questions or I can give you advice on anything...feel free to PM me!

Pat

The Henderson Hyperstretch was a life saver for me. It has an unbelievable amount of stretch to it. I wear the size 14 and I am no way a size 14 (I wish!). Only thing is, it does not keep you quite as warm but it WILL fit you!

I would try some on, I weigh around 265 and I wear wetsuits that say that they are for men up to 230.

Something to keep in mind... one brands' XL will fit very different from another brands' XL. When i got my XSScuba XXXL men's shortie, I also tried on a SCUBAPRO XXXL men's shortie and they fit VERY different. The SCUBAPRO fit smaller and did not have enough room in the thighs (I have thunder thighs!!!). XSScuba is much roomier in the legs/thighs and I don't have to fight to get it on. I still want to try Tommy D's to see how their fit is. Harvey's fit is great for a woman, curves in the right places and "off the rack". Looked at Liquidfit in my search, they offer reasonable rates for resizing if you lose/gain weight. In summery... for a full suit, try Harvey's, Tommy D's, and LiquidFit. For a shortie, XSScuba or Tommy D's. So you have a few options!

Back
Top Bottom