Help for a big girl! I'm getting discouraged.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi if all else fails in Key Largo theirs a custom shop called Liquid Skin. I'm a big guy to look at my pic I go 250lbs. I know a few larger females and male divers. They swear by theses suits.
They do suits for alot of commercial divers (which are terrible on suits). I'm sorry I don't have there number but you can look them up on the net. If you can't find them you can call Silent World Diving in Key Largo ask for Pat shes one of their Instructors / boat Captains she'll be able to help.

Don't pay much attention to the sizes listed by wetsuit manufacturers. Look at their size charts. You'll find that their sizes do not bear any relationship to "standard" clothing sizes. The largest sized men's suit from Akona is listed at 5XL. But if you compare the actual measurements to standard clothing sizes, this corresponds to what most men's shops would call 3XL. So my first bit of advice is to look at the actual measurements for the manufacturers sizes. BTW, Akona is one of the manufacturers I'd recommend checking to see if they make a stock suit in your size.

That said, your best bet is to look for a manufacturer that makes custom suits. The non-custom wetsuit/drysuit industry just does not serve the big or tall diver very well.

Yes...lose some weight...I need to and I'm in the process, but that will take a bit of time, and I'd like to get my wetsuit pretty quick.

If you're commited to losing weight then the best advise I can give is WAIT! It's a real shame to spend $$$ on a suit that may not fit the best in a month or 2. My wife has lost so much weight that I've told her "If you loose another pound, you can start buying your own wetsuits". The good side to that is I now have a diverse selection of sizes for private students.

Good luck,
Bill

Custom wetsuits in Phuket are around $300 USD (they can cost more if you get a fancy kind of design), and they're ready in three days. They will also take in the suits they make when you lose weight, meaning you don't have to sell your ideal suit. So just get on a plane to Phuket and I'll take you to the wetsuit shop! As a bonus, you get to dive the wonderful Andaman Sea!

Don't pay much attention to the sizes listed by wetsuit manufacturers. Look at their size charts. You'll find that their sizes do not bear any relationship to "standard" clothing sizes.

Tell me about it! But on the other hand when I tried on the Waterproof suit for my size according to their measurements http://www.waterproof.se/lynx_aries.php (don't know if you can get them in US) it was high-pitched voice too short and I ended up buying a Cressi that was sized for someone rather shorter than I am. Makes no sense.

There is nothing beating going around several dive stores and just trying on different suits, and a good store will find order you sizes in without obligation.

Good luck in your hunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom