HELP! Faber Steel HP 100s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster:
I am of the impression (I hereby claim to not be an expert!) that the combo DIN/YOKE valves you are referring to are ONLY available on a LOW PRESSURE tank (LP). He stated these were HP.

I think thread on valves are different and HP Tank valves NEVER have the required dimple because of higher pressure.

YOKE can do the 2500 PSI range but not the 3500+ that HP deal with.

DIN Regulator - I just had a kit put on my SCUBAPRO 1st stage and that enablews me to use it on my new HP Steel tank and an adapter on the din 1ST stage allows me to use it with rental Yoke valve tanks and my old Aluminum tanks I own.

Somebody set me straight if need be!
Not so ... the PST E-series cylinders - rated to a working pressure of 3,442 psi - come standard with the Thermo Pro convertible valves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All true, great great size good for doubles if you so wish to do later. The big question.....How much? Even a great tank aint worth a crap if it;s overpriced!

Mheaster,

I own 2 steel Fabers HP 100's with the convertable vavles. I have my Atomic B2 set up for DIN and IMHO it makes a lot more sense from a engineering point of view. The only disadvantage with the valves that are convertable is that you can't screw the DIN fitting into the valve as far as you can the non convertable style. There are a couple of threads that will show with the DIN fitting "bottomed out", so they won't be as strong as a non convertable type. However, if you ever want a fill and they don't have a DIN fitting on the fill hose it's nice to be able to just screw in the yoke portion of the valve and get your tank filled.

divermatt:
How about getting both tanks cleaned for O2? As far as I recall my training, I can do that and still get air fills from my LDS as long as it uses certain specs on the fills. Am I right? A nitrox tank CAN carry air with no issues...Right?

Just don't put dirty air into an O2 cleaned tank (as it will no longer be O2 clean). Yah.

If a LDS serves nitrox, their air should be clean.

The Faber 100 is very versatile. It is rated 3180+ and has a standard 3/4 pipe (straight pipe thread) which makes it compatible with DIN or YOKE valves. This tank is heavy, very rugged with thick walls and negative buoyancy.

A tank need not be oxygen clean to fill with NITROX. It depends on the fill method. If the partial pressure mixing is used it means that the tank must first be partially charged with pure oxygen. This is the origin of the "oxygen clean" mantra. However, it is more practical and efficient to use the continuous blending method with high pressure tanks like the Faber 100.

Thse tanks are bad for you, send them to me.......

True high pressure starts at 3500 PSI. The popular 3442 PSI cylinders skirt this and usually come with the 5 thread DIN connector donut convertible to yoke valves. As long as you have a regulator and yoke rated for the pressure you run you can make the yoke connection. Some yokes have the rating cast in the metal.

As Bob mentioned the connector portion of your regulator can be swapped out in most cases to make it DIN. I have seen the connectors for as little as $50. Some can even be found on EBAY.

You don't see DIN much on Leisure Pro because yoke is the dominant format and they are mass marketers.

If you go with a DIN connector you will need an adapter for travel and times when you may need to rent a yoke only cylinder.

I went DIN and have been happy with the decision.

Pete

The tanks are not the new 3442 psi Fabers, they are the a couple of years old so they are 3180psi +, I believe we sold them with the convertible valves or a true 300 bar din. Unless you are getting Nitrox from one particular store in Boston area, there is no need to get them cleaned as everybody else is running pre-mix (hopefully including us in the spring). It would be safer to use them with a DIN, as it is better connection and with the plus rating, technically you should be anyways. Just bring your reg in and we can show you how to change it over to DIN (or do it for you at no charge). That way you can get the best use of the tanks when you’re diving locally and then change your reg back to yoke for when you travel and are using rental tanks.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom