HELP! Faber Steel HP 100s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend of a friend is selling 2 Faber HP steel 100s. Are these a good tank? It would be nice to be able to drop some weight from my belt, but it means buying a DIN reg. Anyone use these? What is your opinion???

I have a couple of them. Lovely tanks. Steel is so nice, less weight to carry.

FABERS are great tanks. Have the tanks inspected regardless of the last inspection date. Hydrostatic inspection and visual inspection will determine if they are worth it.

Can I expose some ignorance here??? I'm a big nitrox guy, within the 40% limit--I plan on getting further with that, but that is another story. How about getting both tanks cleaned for O2? As far as I recall my training, I can do that and still get air fills from my LDS as long as it uses certain specs on the fills. Am I right? A nitrox tank CAN carry air with no issues...Right?

divermatt:
but it means buying a DIN reg. Anyone use these? What is your opinion???

I have one of these. Works well. Lets me breathe underwater and everything!
And you don't need to buy a DIN reg - just get a screw-in insert, and voila, it's a yoke!

Everybody! Thank Mark! He helped me! Really! I'm glad you used your precious time to write that. Honest.
I do recognize that DIN is choice that will help me breath, even when I am underwater. I'm curious about getting both tanks set up for nitrox, when I plan on breathing air 33% of the time.
I'm also curious about DIN regs. I didn't see a ton of them at Leiurepro. Why not? They make more sense in several ways. What's up with that?

I own two faber steal 120 and love them they are both yoke setups and they will be getting o2 scrubed after tonight hopefully. The tanks are great and I personally love them. As far as switching from air to nitrox and vice versa it should be doable just be careful where you get it done. Many places say if they have to seperate fill areas one for air one for nitrox then the quality of the air may not be the same and can cause pollutants. I would suggest talking to your LDS about it and ask them how they fill the nitrox.

Actually, you have options.

If the cylinders are relatively new, they may have Thermo Pro valves, which are convertible from DIN to yoke by the use of a screw-in insert (what Mark is alluding to, I suspect). If this is the case, the valves will have 5 threads instead of the 7 threads that come on the standard DIN valves. Your LDS staff should be able to tell you whether or not this is the type of valve on the cylinder.

Otherwise, you can replace the existing DIN valves with new ones ... Thermo Pro valves typically run about $50 each, and I've seen them on sale for as little as $25. Simply bleed all the air out of the cylinders, screw off the valves that are on there, and screw on the new ones. It's very easy to do. If you're going to get the cylinders nitrox-cleaned, this is a very cost-effective option, since the new valves will come nitrox-ready.

Or, you can leave the old valves on the cylinders and purchase a conversion kit for your existing regulator that will convert the first stage from yoke to DIN. Conversion kits typically run $75 to $100, depending on the regulator.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Since used convertible din/yoke valves are often missing the inserts, the easiest way to identify one is to simply try and put a yoke regulator over the valve, and observe if:
- the yoke fits over the valve
- there's a dimple on the back if the valve to accept the yoke screw.

If the answer to both is yes, then the valve is almost certainly a din/yoke combo, but if not then it definately isn't.

NWGratefulDiver:
If the cylinders are relatively new, they may have Thermo Pro valves, which are convertible from DIN to yoke by the use of a screw-in insert (what Mark is alluding to, I suspect). If this is the case, the valves will have 5 threads instead of the 7 threads that come on the standard DIN valves. Your LDS staff should be able to tell you whether or not this is the type of valve on the cylinder.

I am of the impression (I hereby claim to not be an expert!) that the combo DIN/YOKE valves you are referring to are ONLY available on a LOW PRESSURE tank (LP). He stated these were HP.

I think thread on valves are different and HP Tank valves NEVER have the required dimple because of higher pressure.

YOKE can do the 2500 PSI range but not the 3500+ that HP deal with.

DIN Regulator - I just had a kit put on my SCUBAPRO 1st stage and that enablews me to use it on my new HP Steel tank and an adapter on the din 1ST stage allows me to use it with rental Yoke valve tanks and my old Aluminum tanks I own.

Somebody set me straight if need be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom