Help buying new torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alph

New
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a newbie on night and/or low visibility diving, and since I'm planning do some of these in a very near future I'm thinking on buying a torch that can be not too big, as powerful as possible, robust and, of course, not too expensive.
Right now I'm thinking on this particular one:

Assemtron V

Does anyone know it? Is it ok?
Thanks in advance.

This is the first time I've ever heard of that light, but it seems rather gimmicky to me.

All you really need is a high power twist-on LED torch with an ample battery supply, and somewhere to attach a boltsnap or clip. I personally dive 2 of these as backups and they are bulletproof:

1200LM CREE XM L T6 LED Underwater Diving LED Flashlight CREE LED Torch | eBay

For the money, you will not find a more capable dive light. This is the same model Dive Right In and other retailers sell, just unbranded.

Light Monkey 3W LED backup light.

First ever post and it is a question regarding a torch that is not yet released? Hmmm...

This is the first time I've ever heard of that light, but it seems rather gimmicky to me.

All you really need is a high power twist-on LED torch with an ample battery supply, and somewhere to attach a boltsnap or clip. I personally dive 2 of these as backups and they are bulletproof:

1200LM CREE XM L T6 LED Underwater Diving LED Flashlight CREE LED Torch | eBay

For the money, you will not find a more capable dive light. This is the same model Dive Right In and other retailers sell, just unbranded.

Thanks for the info, looking to get either DRIS lights or a clone. Is this the seller you bought your lights from? Also, I never heard of LR14 batteries before. Are those the same as "C"?

Problem with asking about the torch in the OP is that it's not released yet so no one has any first hand information on it. Just based on looking at the link I'm inclined to think the torch isn't that great. There aren't many details on it. It doesn't even state what kind of battery it uses. And it has a pretty hefty price tag. As for any light that doesn't use standard batteries that can be bought at any store, I prefer to avoid those. I have some lights that use CR123s and they are expensive if you get them at your local store or you have to order them online in quantity to get a decent deal on them. Personally I like something that uses AAA or AA batteries. They are common and inexpensive. My backup lights use 3 AAAs, are small, and bright. I had one on the other day in a cave with a student who had a canister light and my backup light was brighter than his canister light. I asked him if his battery was dying and he told me it's always like that. So he paid several hundred dollars for his canister light and I have a backup light that costs $80 and outshines it. It also gets 10 hours of burn time.

self-promotion :banghead:
I would have to agree with you on that one. I don't see how anyone would ask about a light thats not even released yet, with a page that has so little information. Light looks like a gimmick POS. If the OP is serious, then I would also suggest the DRIS light or its clone, the later of which I have not tried out....YET

I agree,very strange. I would recommend a couple of DRIS 1,000 lumen lights to start. I have a can light that I love but I doubt that OP wants to pay nearly $2,000 for a light.

I agree,very strange. I would recommend a couple of DRIS 1,000 lumen lights to start. I have a can light that I love but I doubt that OP wants to pay nearly $2,000 for a light.

I have 2 DRIS lights. They are great bright bullet-proof lights.

I think they are nearly too bright for night diving - I wish they had a ~200 lumen setting. They attracted so many huge bloodworms on our last dive we had to shut them off every 30 seconds or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom