hello - difficulty equalising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is pinching your nose and swallowing another substitute for pinching your nose and blowing?
@Kryssa: These are two different methods of achieving the same thing: pressure equalization of the spaces on either side of the ear drum. There are other ear equalization methods. It can be helpful to learn about all of them so that you can choose the technique that works best for you.

For more info, please click through some of the links provided by the participants in this thread. Or just click on the link in my signature. Dr. Kay's video presentation is quite lengthy but worth it, IMO.

Swallowing is another valid way to open the Eustachian tubes. Some people (myself among them) find it difficult to swallow while using a regulator. (Swallowing only works for me if I do it with my mouth open, and I can't hold a reg with my cold lips alone!) If swallowing is going to work, it does not require pinching the nose, as it is not a pressurizing maneuver but an opening one.

Infection in divers rarely involves the middle ear, although in some cases it can. It's almost always an external ear problem, which is what you prevent (and treat, if it occurs) with drops. Drops won't do anything for barotrauma to the eardrum itself.

I wrote a little piece on this topic a while back, because it confuses so many people.

Some people (myself among them) find it difficult to swallow while using a regulator. (Swallowing only works for me if I do it with my mouth open, and I can't hold a reg with my cold lips alone!)

The last time I dove, which was also the first time, I took my regulator our of my mouth to swallow in order to equalize. My instructor watched me do it, so I assume it was ok....

Thanks so much for all the replies - I wasn't expecting such a great response!

Good news - I did 2 dives on Saturday and no ear problems - as advised on here I equalised before I entered the water and then very regularly as soon as I was in the water. I was straight down to 18 metres without a problem. Which was good as we had quite a few jellyfish to contend with at the shallower depth so I was keen to get away from them.
My buddy is my husband so he always watches out for me having any trouble - I also told our dive guide in case I was slow to descend.
We are going to be diving every few weeks now so hopefully my ears will get used to it.

The surgery I had was having grommets inserted and my adenoids removed so fairly straightforward and when I was 7 so already 20 years ago.

Thanks again - looking forward to my next dive now.

Thanks for reporting back; it's always nice to hear how it all turned out. Glad the surface equalizing worked for you :)

B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom