Is Otitus media with effusion or glue ear a contraindication to diving if you can equalise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for confusion. The way I read it, the OP meant that if he's able to equalize effectively it doesn't matter what the ambient pressure is, what matters is the pressure differential, which can occur both flying and diving. Of course (for the OP) the potential for a large pressure differential is much greater while diving.

Best regards,
DDM
What you say is not confusing, but that is not how I read what he said. I guess he will have to clarify.

The rate of pressure change in diving is much greater than when ascending and descending in a commercial airliner. You may be able to tolerate a relatively slow descent from 8000 feet to sea level in an airplane, but that's a pressure equivalent of 8-9 feet of sea water. It would be much easier to get behind in equalizing while descending in the water, especially if there's still inflammation present in your middle ear, which seems likely given your description. This would effectively close down your Eustachian tubes and make it even more difficult to equalize, which would put you at risk of re-traumatizing your middle ears.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you for your reply. Could you clarify something for me. So are you saying the inflammation would make me less able to sense strains or discomfort in my ears due to pressure change and I could fail to equalise often enough? Or are you saying the inflamation would make eustachian tube dysfunction more likely.

I know I should probably wait to recover 100% but it has been so many months and the crackling and slight fullness seem to have stopped improving. Weeks and weeks pass by and nothing changes.

Thank you for your reply. Could you clarify something for me. So are you saying the inflammation would make me less able to sense strains or discomfort in my ears due to pressure change and I could fail to equalise often enough? Or are you saying the inflamation would make eustachian tube dysfunction more likely.

I know I should probably wait to recover 100% but it has been so many months and the crackling and slight fullness seem to have stopped improving. Weeks and weeks pass by and nothing changes.
You're most welcome. Inflammation in the middle ear could cause the openings to the Eustachian tubes to swell, which would make it harder for air to pass through them. Inflammation in this area can be maddeningly slow to resolve.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom