hello - difficulty equalising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dib-dab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all
I am new to this board so apologies if my question is in the wrong place!
When diving I often have difficulty equalising. I can always descend to full depth eventually and complete the dive, however it sometimes takes a while and can be painful.
I spoke to a dive doctor about this and I am sure that she suggested taking a decongestant before diving but this was a while ago and I can't quite remember! Can anyone advise? And if this is correct - is it better to take a liquid or tablet form decongestant and how long before diving?
Sometimes I am fine and can descend quickly but more often than not have problems and I hate to feel like I am holding up my buddy and sometimes the guide - also would rather use my air at depth rather than a couple of metres under!
Thanks in advance :)

It's a common problem amongst new divers. I think you'll notice that the more you dive, the easier it will get. I do usually take a decongestant the night before when I go to bed and it helps me tremendously. Tablet or liquid is up to you - liquids generally get into your system quicker but I don't see how it matters.

Here's some reading material from DAN:

DAN Divers Alert Network : Guide to Avoiding Ear & Sinus Injuries in Scuba Diving

Thanks for the reply, I am diving next on Saturday so will take something on Friday night before I go to sleep.
I did have surgery on my ears when I was young and until a few years ago suffered from ear infections very frequently so I guess I am just unlucky with my ears! I have been cleared by drs though for diving so am not worried abotu causing permanent damage. I am planning to start diving regularly so hopefully that will rectify things.
Thanks again!

One concern about taking a decongestant prior to diving is that if it "wears off" you can get clogged up at depth and end up with a "reverse block".

It also sounds from your post that you continue to descend even though you haven't completely equalized, to the point that you are in pain. Never do that. If necessary, abort the dive if you cannot descend without pain. Nothing's worth a set of ruptured ear drums.

One concern about taking a decongestant prior to diving is that if it "wears off" you can get clogged up at depth and end up with a "reverse block".

It also sounds from your post that you continue to descend even though you haven't completely equalized, to the point that you are in pain. Never do that. If necessary, abort the dive if you cannot descend without pain. Nothing's worth a set of ruptured ear drums.

Hmm reverse block doesn't sound much fun! I might just see how I go and hopefully more regular diving will help.

I don't continue to descend with pain - as soon as I can't equalise and start to feel any pain I ascend until I am able to equalise and then continue my descent. As long as I take my time I can then get to depth and have a pain free dive with no further problems. I have almost aborted a dive once but then after a couple of minutes at a shallower depth my ears had a lovely pop and then it was all fine from there.

Hmm reverse block doesn't sound much fun! I might just see how I go and hopefully more regular diving will help.

I don't continue to descend with pain - as soon as I can't equalise and start to feel any pain I ascend until I am able to equalise and then continue my descent. As long as I take my time I can then get to depth and have a pain free dive with no further problems. I have almost aborted a dive once but then after a couple of minutes at a shallower depth my ears had a lovely pop and then it was all fine from there.

Well there ya go! It sounds like you figured it out!

In your first post on this thread you talk about diving in pain, and then in this last post you say that you do not descend in pain. Hence my confusion.

Well there ya go! It sounds like you figured it out!

In your first post on this thread you talk about diving in pain, and then in this last post you say that you do not descend in pain. Hence my confusion.

Ah - sorry I wasn't clear. When I mentioned pain in the first post I was just referring to when I start to feel pain if I can't equalise.
I was just wondering whether there was a quick fix to not being able to equalise but maybe there isn't and I will just have to take my time with my descent and buy my buddy a drink later :)

Ah - sorry I wasn't clear. When I mentioned pain in the first post I was just referring to when I start to feel pain if I can't equalise.

First there's discomfort, then there's pain. Don't let it get to that point.

Whether it means stopping the descent, ascending a little or a lot, or aborting the dive.

When I first started diving my ears would squeeze in 10ft of water. I remember my first dive out of OW it took me forever to equalize just to get down in 20ft of water. The more you dive, the easier it gets - barring some kind of congestion, of course. You're putting all this pressure on a membrane that's not accustomed to it. Think of it like a muscle that never gets used - it's pretty sore after the first few workouts.

What kind of surgery? Did you have tubes put in your ears? That's usually the most common thing I hear of when people say they used to get a lot of ear infections. I'm no ENT though.

Some people, due to anatomy, have more trouble equalizing than others. Taking things slowly and equalizing very frequently helps a great deal. The use of extended-release oral decongestants can also be helpful -- the short-acting ones run more of a risk of reverse block.

You might find THIS video (warning, it's long!) educational, and THIS article on equalizing techniques useful.

Good luck with this -- the good news is that you CAN get down, if you take it slowly!

Back
Top Bottom