Squeaky ear when equalizing ( new diver )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would only add that equalization should start on the drive to the dive site, not on the surface or descent.
Actually, if I'm diving that day, I equalize before I even get out of bed. Why bother getting up, if you can't dive because you can't equalize? :D :D :D

Hey everyone! Update on my ears as a new diver :)
I decided to goto a dive doctor who checked my ears. I wanted to make sure everything was okay and normal. I got X-rays of my sinuses and I spoke to him about my mild allergy concerns. I always struggled to hear a pop or sound out my right ear when equalizing on land but it would be fine in the water. I had concerns about that especially after hearing the crackling in that ear. He said the squeaking could’ve been some congestion but also reminded me to continue taking my descents slow and to focus on good equalizing.

When he checked my ears while I equalized, he said the right one wasn’t equalizing nicely but the left was perfect, I wasn’t surprised and felt this. I always feel like I am equalizing both ears though especially when diving, I equalize and it’s fine so it’s confusing, but the left one just makes more of an obvious pop or sound. He said my ears looked perfect, no damage and after the xray my sinuses also looked great too. I was happy about that. We didn’t even see that much congestion at all.. there was a tiny bit by my right ear / sinuses and abit of irritation there. Everything looked better than I expected and this is when we figured my ears probably just aren’t used to all the diving and pressure, and all the equalizing I’m doing. It’s very new to me.

He put me on meds for the mild allergies and any inflammation. I usually don’t take anything because of how mild they are in my day to day life. They don’t always bother me, I have felt that maybe they’ve been an issue now with starting to dive. I know my ears and sinuses need to be clear and perfect for diving. So I’ve been overthinking that.
He said for two weeks to take some time off and take the meds to see how my ears and sinuses feel. I’ve been doing just that and my ears are feeling great, both of them are equalizing. I do want to find out more about my allergies and maybe get some tests. I’ve been practising my equalizing everyday so i get used to it.
I go into the ocean again this week, I’m feeling excited and ready to finish my open water :) thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice, it has helped me a ton!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom