Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck86:
Not sure yet but I will find out and post when I do.
I am sure she will need a lot of help.
I am so relieved to hear about Christi. Thank you so much for letting us know. I look forward to hearing what we can do to help.

That is wonderful. i will b more than happy to help, as many of us will. Thank u so much 4 the update.

<<<< Edit - http://cozumelrelief.com/ Has Been Updated... They Are Now Taking Donations >>>>

After Emily, Christi set up a Paypal account to help out not just her crew, but other out of work DMs, Boat Captains etc. Once again going to prove what a good-hearted person she is. If you wanted some, or all of it to it to go to a specific person you could specify him/her no matter what dive op that person worked for.

As it turned out, the money was distributed to those that helped in the reef cleanup directly after the storm. Apparently there were only a few ops that helped in the effort - List is on the site below.

She's going to have her hands full but I bet she will attempt something like this again. I'm sure we can't even imagine what it's going to take to get the island up and running again so give it time.

Here is the URL:

http://cozumelrelief.com/

Bookmark it, and think about donating when and if the time comes.

There are Paypal links, links to the Mexican Red Cross as well as a breakdown of who received the donations from Emily.

Moodiejeff:
<<<<Disclaimer - This is for information purposes only!!!>>>>

<<<<I am not advocating anyone sending money at this time!!!>>>>

After Emily, Christi set up a Paypal account to help out not just her crew, but other out of work DMs, Boat Captains etc. Once again going to prove what a good-hearted person she is. If you wanted some, or all of it to it to go to a specific person you could specify him/her no matter what dive op that person worked for.

As it turned out, the money was distributed to those that helped in the reef cleanup directly after the storm. Apparently there were only a few ops that helped in the effort - List is on the site below.

She's going to have her hands full but I bet she will attempt something like this again. I'm sure we can't even imagine what it's going to take to get the island up and running again so give it time.

Here is the URL:

http://cozumelrelief.com/

Bookmark it, and think about donating when and if the time comes.

There are Paypal links, links to the Mexican Red Cross as well as a breakdown of who received the donations from Emily.

I totally agree Jeff. Lets wait a little bit and see what Christi wants us to do.

Although her phone is down and the cell's not working, Jason managed to find a pay phone that was working and Christi managed to call me to let me know that they're all OK. They even managed to get a few hours sleep last night.

According to Christi, Wilma was a Cat 5 when it hit Coz and made Emily look like a cakewalk. Locals who lived through Gilbert said Wilma topped Gilbert by a long shot. Christi said they were pounded from 9pm Friday night straight through until this morning. Thank God, her house stood through it well and did not flood, at least from the outside. However, they took on a great deal of water that was blown through the windowframes and under the doors - Jason said they mopped up 4 20-gallon buckets of water from Christi's office on the second floor. At one point they had about 6" of water in the living room. As of this morning, Mago has turned the gas back on so they can finally cook the food that's going to go bad and they've taken the the wood off the windows so they can finally have some light back in the house after 4 days spent in darkness.

Now for updates on Coz itself. She said things are not good. The Caletta is really ugly - many boats were hit by projectiles and several boats are completely underwater. Shamu is fixable - the hull is intact, although it clearly took some hits from flying objects and has some dents. There is some question as to whether the motor was submerged at some point - they still have to check that out. Two Deep Blue boats were completely untouched. Although it was difficult to see which boats were underwater, Christi specifically mentioned that 2 of Blue Angel's boats were submerged.

Most of the oceanside hotels suffered severe damage. Caribe Blu's structure is still intact, but the pool is now part of the ocean. All of the small dive piers are destroyed and there's major damage to one of the cruise ship piers. The new part of Papa Hogs was destroyed, although the old part survived. Melgar was torn up from downtown all the way down to Villablanca. According to Christi, waves reached 3 blocks back from the square.

There were most certainly deaths on Coz...I told her about the 4 bodies that were spotted by military planes this morning and she told me she had seen one down by the waterfront this morning.

She was very concerned about when help would arrive - I told her that I'd heard that the military, police and Red Cross were aware of the need for food and water on the island and I'd heard that they were making preparations.

At that point, we got cut off, so that's all I know...I'll let you know if I hear anything more....

SadiesMom:
Now for updates on Coz itself. She said things are not good. The Caletta is really ugly - many boats were hit by projectiles and several boats are completely underwater. Shamu is fixable - the hull is intact, although it clearly took some hits from flying objects and has some dents. There is some question as to whether the motor was submerged at some point - they still have to check that out. Two Deep Blue boats were completely untouched. Although it was difficult to see which boats were underwater, Christi specifically mentioned that 2 of Blue Angel's boats were submerged.

Most of the oceanside hotels suffered severe damage. Caribe Blu's structure is still intact, but the pool is now part of the ocean. All of the small dive piers are destroyed and there's major damage to one of the cruise ship piers. The new part of Papa Hogs was destroyed, although the old part survived. Melgar was torn up from downtown all the way down to Villablanca. According to Christi, waves reached 3 blocks back from the square.
(quote edited for length)

So very sad to read this news. Best of luck to Christi and all the other small quality dive ops that now face a difficult time of rebuilding.

http://cozumelrelief.com/ Has been updated, they are now accepting donations.

Bookmark it, and think about donating, those in the dive industry are going to need it.

There is also a link to The Mexican Red Cross if you want to make a "broader" donation.

There are Paypal links, links to the Mexican Red Cross as well as a breakdown of who received the donations from Emily

My thoughts are with everyone down in Cozumel and across the Yucatan.

Please tell Jason & Becky that Brett & Alicia in Florida have been thinking about them. How dare they have such an adventure without us!!! We got an update from Jack this evening and understand everyone had pulled through well. We're glad they had a safe place to go! Next time we'll have to come along so there's an amateur radio operator in the group!

Take care,
Brett & Alicia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom