Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sham_ba_la:
I have no problem on waiting, I just hope that all goes well and the damages were that bad to the Island, After seeing the damages from Katrina to Mississippi and LA I prayed it wouldn't happen again with any more storms to another location... thanks much for keeping us all up to date on this.. unfornately at this time none of the news programs are giving any updates on what has happened to Cancun or Cozumel.

I watch as much news as I can hoping to hear what's going on in the Yucatan area, but no one is covering it...... yet.

I sure hope Christie, her business and friends are all OK. I also hope help gets to them soon! It's frustrating being here and not being able to help them.

Randy

Randy43068:
I watch as much news as I can hoping to hear what's going on in the Yucatan area, but no one is covering it...... yet.

I sure hope Christie, her business and friends are all OK. I also hope help gets to them soon! It's frustrating being here and not being able to help them.

Randy

The spanish channels (Galavision, Telemundo, TV Azteca) are constantly running footage, mostly of Cancun but once in a while of Playa and Cozumel. These channels are available through Cable or DISH.

You can also do a google translation on the Spanish News Sites such as:

http://www.esmas.com/noticierostelevisa/katrina/484414.html

According to that article four people were found dead so far :( .

Randy43068:

Randy
Hi Randy - Christi is safe, as are the 4 people who were staying with her. Shamu is repairable, although there may have been motor damage - she has yet to figure out if it was under water (as of when I spoke to her last night around 6pm or so). Don't know about her shop.

Making it financially is going to be enormously difficult - this is her high season. She was fully booked with two boats for the next 4-5 months. That means not only returning deposits, but not having *any* income. There's no insurance that covers that. She's a small business owner and this could potentially be financially devastating.

If anyone has diving planned with her and *can* afford to let her keep their deposit, it would be a tremendous act of kindness and generosity. I understand that many people are not in that position, but some are. For those who are not, there is a place to help the dive community specifically - where 100% of the funds donated WILL go to the dive community. You can donate via Paypal. It is a grassroots effort and as such, is NOT tax deductable, but you can be assured that your money will go directly to people you've dived with in Cozumel. (It was originally set up during Hurricane Emily and a list of people to whom donations were given after that is listed on the site).

The website is www.cozumelrelief.com . If anyone feels uncomfortable with that option, there is also a link on the site to the Mexican Red Cross. I'm not affiliated with the site or the fund, but know the person who organized it - and Christie was involved with setting it up originally. I'm not sure if she's aware that he reactivated it for this storm. She did not recieve any funds the last time, but I'm hoping that she will this time (although I have no knowledge to that effect).

If you e-mail any questions through the website, please be patient for answers...Johnoly, who is running the site, lives in FL and is currently being hit by Wilma himself.. :11doh:

DoctorId:
I have a trip planned for Nov 13-20, staying at the Caribe Blu. I'm guessing that I should get on the phone tomorrow and cancel as it seems unlikely that operations will be running in 3 weeks. Any other more hopeful opinions?

We are going nov 17-24 staying at the Villa Aldora, they are ok, spoke with Dave yesterday (owner of Aldora) and there is some water damage to the bottom beach level rooms but none to the upper rooms. He has storm shudders and didnt loose any windows. Also, all his boats are fine, they took them out of the water and had them protected behind buildings. They plan on being back in the water in about a week or so. I think we all need to keep our reservations as these people are really going to need the money right now from us. So as long as the airlines are flying into cozumel we should all try and keep our reservations and help these people out.

Kathy in Texas

I need a little clarification here, if possible...

We have a trip scheduled with Christi on Dec 17-23rd. We were to stay in the Casa Mexicana, which from an Aldora post is reported to be open even now running on generators. I feel confident that if the CM is open now, it will be available in 2 more months.

From the above post, am I to assume that Christi won't be in a position to take out divers for 4-5 months? If that is the case, then I need to make other arrangements immediately. (the deposit is not an issue)

I suppose I should wait and see what shakes out of all of this, but if it is clear there is no way Christi can be ready in 2 months then there is no point in delaying changing plans.

Advice?

As good hearted as Christi is I hope we all pull together to support her and the other operators there.

jayjoans:
I need a little clarification here, if possible...

We have a trip scheduled with Christi on Dec 17-23rd. We were to stay in the Casa Mexicana, which from an Aldora post is reported to be open even now running on generators. I feel confident that if the CM is open now, it will be available in 2 more months.

From the above post, am I to assume that Christi won't be in a position to take out divers for 4-5 months? If that is the case, then I need to make other arrangements immediately. (the deposit is not an issue)

I suppose I should wait and see what shakes out of all of this, but if it is clear there is no way Christi can be ready in 2 months then there is no point in delaying changing plans.

Advice?
check with Aldora or another dive op and make reservations with the. We are diving with Aldora Nov 17-24th unless the ports are still closed and the airlines are not flying into cozumel. Kathy in Texas

Back
Top Bottom