Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So terriably sorry to hear about what happened to Cozumel... I do however wonder, I've got a trip planned for the end of January to come out there and stay at the Hotel Cozumel... can anyone tell me what kind of damage they incurred? I'm also wondering if I should cancel my trip until much later in the year..

Thanks!

I have a trip planned for Nov 13-20, staying at the Caribe Blu. I'm guessing that I should get on the phone tomorrow and cancel as it seems unlikely that operations will be running in 3 weeks. Any other more hopeful opinions?

Moodiejeff:
http://cozumelrelief.com/ Has been updated, they are now accepting donations.
Thanks for letting us know that they're accepting donations. I hope everyone will consider donating toward the relief effort. I know I'm donating through the cozumelrelief.com fund because 100% of whatever donated goes directly to them. Very cool!

Sham_ba_la:
So terriably sorry to hear about what happened to Cozumel... I do however wonder, I've got a trip planned for the end of January to come out there and stay at the Hotel Cozumel... can anyone tell me what kind of damage they incurred? I'm also wondering if I should cancel my trip until much later in the year..

Thanks!
If you can wait a day or two, they may be able to assess the damage and figure out what's' goin on. I've heard that Hotel Cozumel may be OK, but that's rumor at this point. Cozumel will SURELY need tourist money - that's the lifeblood of Cozumel and although there is sure to be damage to the reefs, sand will clear out quickly due to the current that sweeps the island constantly. I would imagine that by the end of January things should be ready to go. If you possibly can, hang tight for a bit...

DoctorId:
I have a trip planned for Nov 13-20, staying at the Caribe Blu. I'm guessing that I should get on the phone tomorrow and cancel as it seems unlikely that operations will be running in 3 weeks. Any other more hopeful opinions?

As I said, I was told that Caribe Blu's structure is intact, but I don't know anything about their condition. As we all know, tourism is the lifeblood of Cozumel and your tourist dollars will absolutely be needed if Caribe Blu *is* ready for customers by then. If you can hold on for a few days to give them time to assess the damage, please do...they'll be working like yeomen trying to get things fixed as quickly as possible to get customers back, as they're coming up on their busy season.

Martha:
Thanks for letting us know that they're accepting donations. I hope everyone will consider donating toward the relief effort. I know I'm donating through the cozumelrelief.com fund because 100% of whatever donated goes directly to them. Very cool!
Thanks, Martha...I will be as well. For your reasons and also because the money goes to those directly involved in the dive industry.

Jason..this is your sister...glad to hear you guys are ok...cudos to christi for letting you guys stay with her. Mom says she loves you and glad you both are ok. Look forward to seeing you in NY next month..please do not bring any bad weather with you. Hope to talk to you soon. Give us a call when you can.

Love Kim

I talked to Christi (and a little with Jason) last night (Sunday) around 6:30pm - Jason had found a pay phone that was working and they called me. The update is posted on the "Hurricane Updates from Christi" thread.... Kim, if they call again, I'll make sure I tell Jase to give you and your mom a call ASAP. FWIW, they came through things fine - they're damp, hot and tired, but OK. Electricity and phone are down, so there's no AC or refrigeration - they're cooking everything that could go bad right now (Christi has gas for cooking). Coz is quite a mess. I don't know when the airport will be fixed, but obviously that will be a priority, both for getting supplies in and tourists out. If I hear again, I'll make sure I report again...check that thread for more updates...

SadiesMom:
If you can wait a day or two, they may be able to assess the damage and figure out what's' goin on. I've heard that Hotel Cozumel may be OK, but that's rumor at this point. Cozumel will SURELY need tourist money - that's the lifeblood of Cozumel and although there is sure to be damage to the reefs, sand will clear out quickly due to the current that sweeps the island constantly. I would imagine that by the end of January things should be ready to go. If you possibly can, hang tight for a bit...

I have no problem on waiting, I just hope that all goes well and the damages were that bad to the Island, After seeing the damages from Katrina to Mississippi and LA I prayed it wouldn't happen again with any more storms to another location... thanks much for keeping us all up to date on this.. unfornately at this time none of the news programs are giving any updates on what has happened to Cancun or Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom