Heating Systems with external battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginti

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the right section, please, mods move the thread if you think "Advanced Diving" or something else is a better fit. Also, if the topic has been discussed extensively in the past, please accept my apologies (I could not find a generic thread, but rather threads dedicated to specific products).

I am looking for a heating system with an external battery. Currently, I am considering the yellow diving and the SANTI ones.

The way I understand them:
- Yellow diving vest: should provide thermal protection even if off, but it's more expensive
- SANTI: more expensive and no thermal protection if off.

In terms of battery, the yellow diving is way cheaper, and I will probably go for it anyway (if it is compatible with the SANTI vest).

A few questions:
- Any other alternative you are aware of?
- How thin is the SANTI vest? How much will it affect my mobility?
- What else would you consider when buying a heated vest?

Thank you in advance!

The Santi offers some thermai value when it is not turned on. Is that what you mean by "thermal protection". Any heated undergarment that stops heating is going to make if feel like you are cold. I have the Santi and I'm pretty happy with it. Routing the P-valve hose is cumbersome. I pair the vest with their gloves and it is really nice, particularly while scootering in cold water.

The Santi offers some thermai value when it is not turned on. Is that what you mean by "thermal protection". Any heated undergarment that stops heating is going to make if feel like you are cold. I have the Santi and I'm pretty happy with it. Routing the P-valve hose is cumbersome. I pair the vest with their gloves and it is really nice, particularly while scootering in cold water.
Yes, this is the type of answer I am looking for, although I'd like to build a comparison with this thread, plus evaluate other alternatives.

Maybe you could expand by explaining if you compared the Santi with something else, and why you chose it - would you?

PS I imagine I can easily pair the gloves with other heating systems, correct? Because I am really thinking of the yellow diving system, it's much cheaper and has similar performances according to my friends

Ok so just had a quick look at the yellow diving link you sent, I have various santi heating products so familiar with those anyway,

Battery.
In short yes the battery of either system will work on either vest / top / suit, as will other manufacturers ammonite, light monkey, halcyon (I think) some of which also offer the possibility of running a umbilical torch at the same time (all cost money of course 😢)

Top / vest / suit.
Any added layer will provide extra thermal protection, the key with most of these systems is to switch it on at the beginning of the dive as it is more effective that way, expecting to turn it on to warm you up when cold whilst diving half way through doesn’t always work, but as with everything in life it may work for you.

Gloves.
Santi gloves are very good indeed, when you purchase them the gloves come with a set of cables that are designed to run from the location of power entering the suit (electrical bulkhead at suit inflation normally although a stand alone bulkhead is fine) you will need to buy a “Y” splitter to add the gloves this way. Either from santi or I imagine many other manufacturers, this product fits between the electrical connection on the inside of the suit and the vest / top connection.
Or if you have the santi heated suit they have connections built in the cuff of each sleeve for this purpose.

Things to add about either system.
You must show the external connections a degree of care especially in salt water, they’re very reliable but a good clean with a cheap set of pipe cleaners that are soft enough to not bend the internal contacts of the female part using a decent cleaner like “Deoxit gold G5” and a rag for the male ends will keep everything working well,
It is possible to change source batteries underwater on long dives and obviously you then must clean well when you get home, and there are some lovely after market cables that allow you to use the heated garment with the battery without wearing the suit which can be a nice touch, it’s all money of course 🫣😢.
As it happens my usual dry suit is in for repair and so using a non electrified back up at the moment and I notice the difference massively, so the heated stuff is really a good bit of kit in my view
AAB0A346-9586-4939-8C59-AF6BB3A3FF52.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 21
  • 27E6F8F7-67D8-4EDD-A2D5-F75D5BAC3213.jpeg
    27E6F8F7-67D8-4EDD-A2D5-F75D5BAC3213.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 8E65B94B-C897-415A-A094-1CCF5DBF2670.jpeg
    8E65B94B-C897-415A-A094-1CCF5DBF2670.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 18
I used a Santi heated vest, Santi Thermovalve bulkhead and originally a Santi battery for a while, now moved onto a Hauberk heated suit an Yellowdiving battery which I like. The Santi vest definitely has some thermal properties even when not turned on, and nicely bridges a thin undersuit into spring or autumn with just adding the heat on deco for me. They don't really cause mobility problems for me around the shoulders. Hauberk: Electric heating

I still use a Santi Thermovalve, and will echo being careful with the cables, I'd now go as far as swapping back to the straight inflator when not using heating as the cables do tend to break. I think there are comments on that in the Equipment / Suits threads, mine is currently broken and I'll be swapping to a WAM cord.

I have a Yellowdiving battery, and they are OK. They're very solid and heavy, but relatively low battery density compared to others. My 21Ah battery is a similar size to my friend's 41Ah SeaYa battery. The cost difference for a 21Ah battery isn't great, but much smaller for SeaYa means I'd look there in future (and their torches as well).

My wife has the Santi gloves and really rates them for cold Scottish diving, even when not heating. Really well cut gloves. Another option, depending on shipping is the Smart-Tex stuff from Poland. Diving - SmartTex I know a couple of people with their vest and it seems a lot like the old Santi thinsulate vest form what they said. They also make socks and gloves but I've not used them.

Overall I'd say you can mix and match as you see fit, I'd suggest a thermovalve over a separate bulkhead only, don't worry about mobility and consider how much power you actually need and get batteries accordingly.

Rich

I used a Santi heated vest, Santi Thermovalve bulkhead and originally a Santi battery for a while, now moved onto a Hauberk heated suit an Yellowdiving battery which I like. The Santi vest definitely has some thermal properties even when not turned on, and nicely bridges a thin undersuit into spring or autumn with just adding the heat on deco for me. They don't really cause mobility problems for me around the shoulders. Hauberk: Electric heating

I still use a Santi Thermovalve, and will echo being careful with the cables, I'd now go as far as swapping back to the straight inflator when not using heating as the cables do tend to break. I think there are comments on that in the Equipment / Suits threads, mine is currently broken and I'll be swapping to a WAM cord.

I have a Yellowdiving battery, and they are OK. They're very solid and heavy, but relatively low battery density compared to others. My 21Ah battery is a similar size to my friend's 41Ah SeaYa battery. The cost difference for a 21Ah battery isn't great, but much smaller for SeaYa means I'd look there in future (and their torches as well).

My wife has the Santi gloves and really rates them for cold Scottish diving, even when not heating. Really well cut gloves. Another option, depending on shipping is the Smart-Tex stuff from Poland. Diving - SmartTex I know a couple of people with their vest and it seems a lot like the old Santi thinsulate vest form what they said. They also make socks and gloves but I've not used them.

Overall I'd say you can mix and match as you see fit, I'd suggest a thermovalve over a separate bulkhead only, don't worry about mobility and consider how much power you actually need and get batteries accordingly.

Rich
Never heard of Hauberk before, but looking at there stuff I noticed they have a valve with triple cables, which was something I was actuallying looking for but could never find.

I have a few hours using heated vests.

It is in your best interest to not rely on it. Do not choose a lighter undergarment/ hood with the plan to use the vest in order to be adequately warm.

If your dive is so long as to where you will be cold without it and you have a thic undergarment (400g thinsulate), a real hood and a proper base-layer then it is what it is. But anything short of that and you’re just setting yourself up for unneeded risk.

You might try a halo vest, light monkey bulkhead valve and light monkey canister. They
work very well together and was very happy this past winter when in 36 degrees water.

I have a few hours using heated vests.

It is in your best interest to not rely on it. Do not choose a lighter undergarment/ hood with the plan to use the vest in order to be adequately warm.

If your dive is so long as to where you will be cold without it and you have a thic undergarment (400g thinsulate), a real hood and a proper base-layer then it is what it is. But anything short of that and you’re just setting yourself up for unneeded risk.
I am with you. I consider the heating system something for comfort - I will use it for the same dives I already do, just hoping for a bit more comfort around the end, at least, for no deco diving. For deco diving, it is another discussion and I am not sure yet what to plan

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom