healthy dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bear's share of my diving has been done from Oahu's most rigorous shore sites. Schlepping tanks up and down rocky cliffs is certainly good work, if only for 20 minutes per dive. The currents around Portlock and swimming 1/2 mile out to sea before dropping certainly help, too.

side benefits for me, I started doing nasal rinses because of diving and I have had many fewer colds than in previous years and the ones I've had have been much milder and shorter lived. Plus it gave me an incentive to exercise more so I could extend my bottom time (better Cardio, more efficient use of air, less fat less weight, etc).

Isn't diving, by definition, a nasal rinse? Oh wait, that's naval rinse. NM.

:rofl3:

Indirect health benefit: Looking forward to diving gives me incentive to maintain my exercise routine.

I had always had at least 6 sinus infections or head colds a year, This has been going on since I was 9 or 10 y/o. I started diving almost 3 years ago and not had a sinus infection since. May be I should see if my health insurance will pay for my diving:D? I'll have to call my PCP and get a perscription for a week in Bonair.

When I dive regularly in the *ahem* warm months in South Florida, I shed weight.
If things are going well in August I will dive 3-4 times a week for 2-4+ hours a trip.
I think there are several variables.
Primarily shore dives.
Short flat walks but when buggin' constantly kicking.
Long surface swims if the sea is calm.
Not having the time to be bored at home and eat junk or too much couch time.
Long dive times burning the calories keeping me butt warm in 85 degree water.
Actually paying better attention to diet, as I am after all, "A DIVER".
I think kit all adds up to better nutrition, fitness, frame of mind, and being in a relaxed state.
But....
It sure ain't cross country skiing.

Chug
Wants to know why there is no snow and it is 47 degrees farenheit at the Winter Olympics.

Well I can't afford smokes and booze anymore so I guess it helps.
I also bought a drysuit that is on the edge of being too small. I have to do cardio workouts if I don't want to buy a new one (and I don't).

Chug, the answer is simple... Biomass. The usual population density of Canada is about 1-2 persons/sq. mile. Nobody calculated the increased exothermic output of everybody attending the games. Having that many people in one place is not something we usually have to deal with up here. I drove past the Olympics on the way to the divesite today; they waved.

I agree with those who mentioned the incentive effect; I work out at least 5 days a week to maintain cardio fitness for diving and to try not to embarrass myself when wearing lycra. I also like the mental health theory; my typical dive borders on the serene, perhaps conferring some of the benefits of meditation. It is hard to tease this effect out of the general salubrity of a week or two away from work, however. And, as mentioned above, anything that gets them off the sofa and away from the refrigerator is a huge health boon for most people.

I would venture a guess that most scuba divers are basically happy people who are out enjoying life, and aside from the benefits of exercise, happiness also seems to have benefits. From a Web MD article in today's news,

"Happiness and the Heart - After accounting for known heart disease risk factors, the researchers found that the happiest people were 22% less likely to develop heart disease over the 10 years of follow-up than people who fell in the middle of the negative-positive emotion scale. People with the most negative emotions had the highest risk for heart disease and people who scored highest for happiness had the lowest risk."

On the other hand, it should be noted that there are those scuba divers who seem to revel in negative emotions, particularly on the internet, and they need to be made aware that their vitriolic self-indulgences may be more harmful to them than an uncontrolled ascent.

Study: Happiness Good for the Heart

possibly the air is cleaner out of a tank vs smoggy city air?....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom