healthy dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am baffled by this thread.

It is certainly more healthful than sitting on a sofa eating potato chips.

Did you have something specific in mind?

well just recently I was looking at hbot treatment for different ailments
people were paying as much as $20,000.00 to breathe oxygen at 1.3 ppo2
for a series of forty dives in a zipper bag. no condition that would stop them from scuba diving
I just realized that i get that same treatment and have fun getting it

well just recently I was looking at hbot treatment for different ailments
people were paying as much as $20,000.00 to breathe oxygen at 1.3 ppo2
for a series of forty dives in a zipper bag. no condition that would stop them from scuba diving
I just realized that i get that same treatment and have fun getting it

I see.

I just checked to see what kinds of ailments are approved for this kind of therapy. I guess if you have one of them, you are getting a bargain.

* Air or gas embolism;
* Carbon monoxide poisoning;
o Carbon monoxide poisoning complicated by cyanide poisoning;
* Clostridal myositis and myonecrosis (gas gangrene);
* Crush injury, compartment syndrome, and other acute traumatic ischemias;
* Decompression sickness;
* Enhancement of healing in selected problem wounds;
o Diabetically derived illness, such as diabetic foot, diabetic retinopathy,, diabetic nephropathy;[
* Exceptional blood loss (anemia);
* Intracranial abscess;
* Necrotizing soft tissue infections (necrotizing fasciitis);
* Osteomyelitis (refractory);
* Delayed radiation injury (soft tissue and bony necrosis);
* Skin grafts and flaps (compromised);
* Thermal burns.

In the United States, HBOT is recognized by Medicare as a reimbursable treatment for 14 UHMS "approved" conditions. A 1-hour HBOT session may cost between $108 to $250 in private clinics and over $1,000 in hospitals. U.S. physicians (M.D., D.C. & D.O.) may lawfully prescribe HBOT for "off-label" conditions such as Lyme Disease,[45] stroke,[46][47][48] and migraines.[49][50][51] Such patients are treated in outpatient clinics. In the United Kingdom most chambers are financed by the National Health Service, although some, such as those run by Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centres, are non-profit.

Other reported applications include:

* Autism. A small 2009 double-blind study of autistic children found that 40 hourly treatments of 24% oxygen at 1.3 atm provided significant improvement in the children's behavior immediately after treatment sessions. The study has not been independently confirmed; further studies are planned or in progress;
* Epidural abscesses;
* Certain kind of hearing loss;
* Radiation-induced hemorrhagic cystitis;
* Inflammatory bowel disease.

Well, I have noticed that when i dive alot (at least several times a week) I have had no sinus infections/ head colds whatsoever. Doesn't mean the diving did anything really but I like to think it helped.

If you mean diving as Excersie or substitute for working out. If you were diving atleast 3 times a week I could see diving as excersing. It is a workout getting all geared up and un geared etc.

I am conducting some tests with the local hospital to see how many benifits we can come up with. By just hooking up your gear and hitting the water. I dove 3-4 dives a day for a year straight depths up to 140' no colds no sinus problems felt great every day. I stopped diving for a month and felt like i was going to die any day. I started diving again real quick.

Drift diving 5 boat trips per week would definitely not get you the minimum required physical activity recommended by AMA.

They recommend that adults get 2½ hours of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 1¼ hours of vigorous activity weekly.

Moderate exercise should be 50% to 75% of their optimal maximums.

The maximum heart rate can be calculated by subtracting one's age from 220. Multiplying that figure by 0.5 and by 0.75 will give the beats-per-minute range for moderate activity.

An easier technique to define moderate exercise is the sing/talk test, he says. "You should exercise at an intensity level high enough that you couldn't sing, but not so intense that you couldn't talk."

Too bad about the talking part. :)

side benefits for me, I started doing nasal rinses because of diving and I have had many fewer colds than in previous years and the ones I've had have been much milder and shorter lived. Plus it gave me an incentive to exercise more so I could extend my bottom time (better Cardio, more efficient use of air, less fat less weight, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom