HD DVD & Blu Ray - informal poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I've seen the Toshiba. There is *no doubt* that the picture quality is absolutely stellar. The problem is that the thing is a totally off-the-shelf PC that takes a minute or more to load a disc.

I've heard about TFE, too, which is a crying shame. That movie *absolutely begs* for the high-def "red carpet" treatment, you know? It's just SO PRETTY and colorful.

I detest Sony with a passion... but the vast majority of people don't. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'd like to see HD-DVD win because it's ever so slightly less anti-consumer.. but I don't think it will.

You can of course be assured that the studios are going to double- and triple-dip this thing to death.

I dunno. I guess for me it isn't *that* much of an issue. Do I wish it booted up as fast as my "regular" DVD player? Of course! Will I complain over a minute here or there for jaw-dropping picture and sound quality? Heck no! :D

BTW, that sound set-up is sweet, thanks again for the advice. The only thing I'd do differently if I could get a "re-do" is get a receiver that does HDMI switching, but Monoprice has a 5x1 one for a hair over $100, so it's a moot point.

I'll be buying a PS3, so I'll have BD one way or the other, hopefully by then Sony will have the BD 50GB discs sorted out and we can start seeing some of these films the way they were meant to be.

I took the boys to see Cars this past weekend. Did the DLP version. Even the wife said that if Disney doesn't support the HD DVD format that we should get a BD player for all the Pixar films. :14:

Nice discussion guys. Hey Derek, another AVS forum veteran here and i wanted to add another perspective.

One of the problems with making the switch is that the companies rely on the first-adopters to determine which way the market goes. In this case, however, the strategy may backfire. I'll use myself as an example: i've spent a lot of my restricted cash flow (even more than on scuba gear!) on a 7.1 audio system, projector and upsampling DVD player (and an SACD player, remember those?). So now i watch my movies in sound that approximates the cinema aural experience (and better calibrated i might add) and a visual experience that is good enough in all its fake 1080i glory!

So, having spent so much and feeling content with my setup, why would i make a knee-jerk reaction and not wait for the market to sort itself out? I think that many people who have similar setups but also for whom money IS an issue feel the same way. What do you guys think?

MantaRey:
As someone who works in the film/television industry: Blu-ray is crap. I hope it doesn't catch on. It's just a pathetic attempt similar to microsoft's proprietary software.

Anyways IMHO: I think the days of disks are gone, the future is in flash memory.

And I thought Blu-ray allows 1080progressive, while any HD format DVD player is limited to 1080interlaced. If I am not mistaken, Blu-Ray would be superior.

Have you used either player?

Not to mention ps3s are comming equipped with blu-ray players.. that may carry the market.

HD-DVD content is 1080p. The Toshiba HD-A1 doesn't support 1080p output, which is mostly a moot point because there are precious few 1080p displays out there.

The PS3 will be an abject failure and an awful Blu-Ray player. I don't think it will make much of an impact by itself.

theatis:
Nice discussion guys. Hey Derek, another AVS forum veteran here and i wanted to add another perspective.

One of the problems with making the switch is that the companies rely on the first-adopters to determine which way the market goes. In this case, however, the strategy may backfire. I'll use myself as an example: i've spent a lot of my restricted cash flow (even more than on scuba gear!) on a 7.1 audio system, projector and upsampling DVD player (and an SACD player, remember those?). So now i watch my movies in sound that approximates the cinema aural experience (and better calibrated i might add) and a visual experience that is good enough in all its fake 1080i glory!

So, having spent so much and feeling content with my setup, why would i make a knee-jerk reaction and not wait for the market to sort itself out? I think that many people who have similar setups but also for whom money IS an issue feel the same way. What do you guys think?

Hey theatis, glad to have another AVS'er here.

Very, very valid points. I've been saying from day one that while it will be J6P who decides the fate of this format war, it is us early adopters whom will carry our respective format of choice along just long enough for J6P to weigh in. I say fate, because frankly, we may not see a winner, period. As you've pointed out, you're the owner of a SACD player, and we obviously know what happened there, and the same thing could befall the Next-Gen DVD war.

Most consumers don't have an HDTV. Those that do, IMHO, will be somewhat jaded. The jump from Standard-Def TV to HDTV is phenominal. I can still vividly remember watching my first HD show a little over 2 years ago on my Sony RP-LCD set. I nearly soiled myself watching a travel program on The Discovery Chanel. They were doing a feature on the Disney parks in FL, and they had just shown the Tower of Terror ride, which I had just been on less than a few years beforehand. It was like I was on my vacation all over again. I nearly soiled my shorts. But I digress...

There are great differences between HD DVD and non-upconverted SD DVD. Unfortunately, the average user isn't going to see the difference on a 36" CRT display. I sit approximately 10' away from my 50" plasma, and while yes the difference is noticable, the one thing it is begging for is a larger stage to truly shine (aka a projector). The consumer electronics industry has done themselves in by advertising other $120 upconverting players as "near-HD quality" and "upconvert to 720p and 1080i". If I were an average consumer and some kid at BB or CC tried to sell me a $500-$1,000 player when I could get one for $120 that was "almost as good", I'd be telling him to take a hike....

I didn't own an upconverting player when I bought my NEC, and was considering an Oppo. Excellent choice, yet one will run me $200. I figured, for $300 more, I could get a true HD DVD experience, get the best upconverting player money can buy (short of a dedicated scaler such as a DVDO product), and if HD DVD did in fact win the format war, all the better.

I own 5 HD DVD titles. Van Helsing, Chronicles of Riddick, U571, Goodfellas and The Last Samurai. These movies were chosen for one of two reasons, either they were a personal favorite of the wife or I, or they were one of those reference films to truly show off the power of the HD DVD player and my plasma. The rest I rent from Netflix. As a matter of fact, I sat down this afternoon and watched Assault on Precinct 13. Picture and sound were overall, breathtaking. Sure, there were a few scenes where it got a hair soft or even a smidge grainy, but it all flowed with the flim, and it almost felt as though it could have been artistic choice by the director, not a limitation in the transfer. As an aside, John Leguizamo's character was just stinkin' annoying. Was I the only one glad to see him get "offed"?

I hear ya on the money situation. I work hard, I play harder. Massive OT during the summers leaves me with cash for stuff like this. My wife keeps telling me I need to give up or severly cut back on at least one of my hobbies (scuba/HT/Mustangs). I sold my Mustang, but I don't know if I can walk away from either scuba or HT. I enjoy 'em too darn much. I'm gonna be in debt for the rest of my life, I figure might as well have some fun along the way. As long as the bills are paid, money gets put away for retirement and the kid's college, life is good.

AVS is an odd place. You have people there who could buy and sell us just as soon as they could pick out a new screen, and then you have the normal people such as us, and then everything else in-between. I think that we're going to see a fair amount of people stay on the sidelines until it becomes a little more apparent where the market will go. HD DVD definitely has the price in their favor, but is the Sony name, and the subsequent exclusive support (at least for now) from nearly every major studio enough to make consumers spend the extra dough? Time will tell. I do know this: they couldn't have picked a worse time to divide their potential customers. With gas in many places exceeding $3 a gallon for 87 octane as a starting point, I'm not so sure I see a whole lot of people jumping in headfirst into HDTVs, let alone adding another $500-$1000 to the mix.

I think it will also come down to which studios will support which formats (or both) and which films they are going to release. We're not going to see J6P making the plunge until titles like The Matrix Trilogy, The LOTR Trilogy and other major blockbusters hit the scene. Why drop (at the cheapest) $500 on a player for movies that you either already own on SD DVD or you don't care about (Rumor has it or Constantine...anyone wanna spend $35 on that?). The fact that Kong and Batman Begins were supposed to be launch titles for the Toshiba hasn't helped either. I understand delays, but it's been about 3 months now WB...

At any rate, I figured I hedged my bets with the Toshiba. If the format fails, I still have one heckuva upconverting player, and at least 5 HD DVD movies to watch in sight/sound bliss...

jonnythan:
HD-DVD content is 1080p. The Toshiba HD-A1 doesn't support 1080p output, which is mostly a moot point because there are precious few 1080p displays out there.

The PS3 will be an abject failure and an awful Blu-Ray player. I don't think it will make much of an impact by itself.

It is my understanding that the HD-A1 can do 1080p via a future firmware upgrade, but I'm not 100% positive. As you pointed out, so few displays can do it that it really is a non-issue. That, and unless it is a projector, I doubt many eyes could distinguish the difference on a 60" or smaller screen, and if they could, the differences would be subtle at best.

I disagree. I think it will be a great game system, and a mediocre to decent BD player. Depends if Sony makes it hardware or software BD player. Regardless, I'm a game-junkie before I am an HT junkie, so the PS3 will be in my stable come November.

Kris Deering's comprehensive review of the HD-A1 (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_2/toshiba-hda1-dvd-player-5-2006-part-1.html) suggests that there won't be native 1080p support but isn't quite definitive. It also supports both Derek's and jonnythan's points: good output but very sluggish performance.

As for the PS3, it all has to do with its performance as a game system. If it's good in that respect, most buyers (and the younger the more likely) will see the BluRay as a bonus and won't even question the performance. How many questioned PS2 as a DVD player even though it was generally sub-par?

Derek, you are spot on about the marketing of the upconversion being a double-edged sword. I was one of the first to buy the Zenith 318 as soon as it came out for $200, you may remember the mad scramble for those. The first thing i did was compare upconverted DVDs to HDTV transmission of the same movies; no significant difference and with a 100-inch screen every detail shows! How can you not be content after that?

While we are on these topics what systems do you guys have?

theatis:
While we are on these topics what systems do you guys have?

Display:
NEC 50XR5A 50" Plasma (through HDMI)
Sony KV30HS420 (secondary display)
Thinkin' about a projector....

Sound:
Yamha HTR-5930 A/V Receiver
Polk R30s Fronts
Polk CSi25 Center
Polk R15s Rears
HSU STF-1 Sub

Sources:
Samsung SIRTS360 DirecTV HD Receiver
Toshiba A1 HD DVD
Sony DVP-85H 5-DVD changer (this one is for the wife/kids)
HTPC
Xbox360/Xbox
PS2/PS
GC/SNES/NES

Misc:
Terk TV55 OTA Antenna
Harmony 880 Remote
APC SurgeArrest Performance

Display: Maxent MX-50X3 50" plasma (Panasonic panel)
Receiver: Denon AVR-1705
Speakers: Polk R30 L/R, CSi25 center, R15 surrounds
Sub: Home-built Dayton Reference 12" sonosub, F3 of ~19Hz

I use my PC as my DVD player and music player, and control everything with a Harmony 659. This thing is wicked.. if you don't have a Harmony remote, get one :wink:

NICE! Jonnythan, a bit of a DIY'er then? Those Daytons are the best value for money in subs hands down, aren't they? A friend of mine has the Polks and they are really good.

Here's mine:

Display: 32" Phillips CRT, BenQ PB6200 w/ 100" DIY screen
Amplification: Pioneer VSX-1014 (as processor and surround amplification), Behringer EP-2500 (powers the mains), Crown Com-Tech 210 (powers the center), both power amps internally modified with gaskets and ultra-silent fans for vibration control and silence
Speakers: Quad L-22s, Quad L-Center, Wharfedale Diamond Surrounds (sides are DFS bipoles, rear are Limited Edition Diamond 8.1s), color: Bird's Eye Maple
Subs: 2 Rocket UFW-10s (also in BEM color) equalized using a Behringer DSP1124P and the Room EQ Wizard software via laptop and an external Sound Blaster card)
Sources: Zenith 318 DVD player, Pioneer 536A SACD player, Harman Kardon FL8380 CD player (used as transport with a nifty powered digital cable from Audio Alchemy), old ELAC turntable (made in West Germany!), Rio Digital Player (mp3s sent from PC to player over Wi-Fi)

That's about it, all put together with a lot of nerdy tinkering. I make most of my cables (found a sweet deal on a 1000' batch of Belden 1506A, Teflon-coated CAT5 cable and make EVERYTHING out of that) and i also dabbled a bit in room acoustics but since we rent not much can be done. The one thing that i'll say is get a SubDude pad from Auralex for the subs; if they tend to boom (and if they're corner-loaded they will) you won't believe the difference this makes. And i don't mean just perceived, a real 'see-the-change-in-the-graph' difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom