HD DVD & Blu Ray - informal poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice setup theatis! I'm quite jealous, I'd love to have a 100" screen.

I saw this over at AVS, figured I'd post it here in case anyone missed it:

A BD fan passed away and found himself in the ante-room between Heaven and Hell. The admitting Angel was surprised to see him and said there was some sort of mix-up in his file. After unsuccessfully trying to solve the mix-up, the Angel told the BD fan that they would allow him to make his own choice as to whether he went to Heaven or Hell.

The BD fan was then seated in front of two plasmas: one labeled "Heaven" and one labeled "Hell."

The "Heaven" display showed streets paved in gold with many smiling people gathered in clusters singing beautiful hymns. Lovely harp music filled the air and the sky was filled with soft, puffy white clouds.

The "Hell" display showed a white sand beach with a sparkling blue ocean gently lapping on the shore. There were many beautiful young women in tiny bikini's strolling the beach, lying in the sand and playing volleyball and having a lot of fun.

The BD fan looked at both scenes for awhile and then thought to himself, "Heaven is nice, but Hell really does look so much better at 1080p." He told the Angel he chose to go to Hell, and he was immediately sent down.

Quite awhile later, the admitting Angel was making his customary rounds of Heaven and Hell, checking on the daily routines. He saw the BD fan and went over to speak to him. The BD fan was chained to a wall. He was dirty and thin. His body was covered in festering sores and he was groaning in great pain. The Angel said, "You know, I could not understand why you chose Hell when you could have gone to Heaven. You, of course, are suffering the consequences of Hell."

The BD fan looked at the Angel with tormented eyes and said, "Where are the beautiful girls? Where is the white sand beach and the sparkling blue ocean? Where is all the fun?"

The Angel said, "Oh, that... Well, that was just the demo..."

jonnythan:
If Blu-Ray wins, it's not because it's technically superior. It's because a far, far greater amount of marketing money is put into it.. thanks to a far, far superior list of studios and manufacturers. Comparing the list of HD-DVD studios and manufacturers to the list of Blu-Ray studios and manufacturers should make any HD-DVD supporter very nervous.

Perhaps it's Sony's way of getting even, 30 years after the VCR format wars.

Until there's more content available, there's little point in getting one anyway, except for bragging rights. It'll be a while before I consider putting my DVD recorders and players on eBay.

I'm in the home theatre iindustry, install this sor tof thing every day, and I'm going to love all the extra money I make installing both systems while people figure out which way they will go.

Now, as much as I hate Sony, and all they stand for, I feel Blu Ray may be the way to go. In nutshell, blu Ray offers more storage for more $$$ per disc.

As an interesting side note, it was about 10 years ago that I was first told about blue laser DVD's, during a demonstration of the first Plasma screens and DVD players. The cynic in me says that we could have started with blu ray/HD DVD style tech 10 years ago, but, of course, then the companies would have had to find another way to make us buy a new technolgy...

Z...

jonnythan:
a Harmony 659. This thing is wicked.. if you don't have a Harmony remote, get one :wink:

I have to say, as someone who programmes various remotes day in, day out, from Crestron (not strictly a remote) RTI, Control 4, Elan...) I actually find the Harmony remotes far too annoying to program. They have a wizard which assumes everything and leaves the programmer with very ittle true control. This is also partly true for the control 4's I have programmed, but they are flexible enough to allow me to "trick it" into doing what I want.

My personal favourites are the RTI's, nice remote, easy to use, very flexible and very quick in terms of programming.

Having said that, a harmony is probably all an average person would "need"(great price point too), provided you don't have anything overly complicated going on.
)
Z...

Regardless of all this, I just hope the winning format doesn't go with this stupid "zoning" system.

Yet another reason I hate Sony...

z...

Bump to garner interest...

Hey Derek, if this isn't getting too much interest how about we create a 'SCUBA divers/home theater enthusiasts' thread that could cover any topic within that area? People could ask for advice, get opinions on new equipment, post changes to their systems, etc. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom