Hawaii in May - Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
Get as far east as you can. Several hundered little islands don't get much diving and it is fantastic.

Gary D.

Gary D.

As you are in Idaho, would those islands to the "east" include Iceland and Greenland? If so, I know why they don't get much diving! :D :wink:

cadiver67:
Thanks all for the information - very helpfull.

I think we are leaning toward Maui.

Can't wait !!!

This will be our first scuba trip - we have only ever been diving close to home around Catalina Island - We love California, but it will be fun to go somewhere different.

Thanks Again - Happy Diving

I love California, too, but the water in Hawaii will make you wonder how much you really like that 7 mil wetsuit! There are folks who dive in May with just bathing suits--not I, understand, but some folks do. I would use a 3 mil because the temp is likely to be 78-80 deg F. However, the younger crowd--check my birthday on my profile--will use shorties or fleeces.

You may never want to dive Coldafornia again! Be warned! This tropical stuff is very addicting.

Have fun!

joewr

Jon C:
Gary D.

As you are in Idaho, would those islands to the "east" include Iceland and Greenland? If so, I know why they don't get much diving! :D :wink:

You Orange County guys are very analytical! But I wondered,too, what he was referring to. I just guessed he was answering another thread. If he meant Midway, then going east is the long way to go...unless one was stopping off at Palau after diving North Korea...

joewr

joewr:
You Orange County guys are very analytical! joewr

I know what made you say that....:D

North Korea would present some interesting dive "challenges"....

Jon

p.s. Maui 180 days....

Jon C:
I know what made you say that....:D

North Korea would present some interesting dive "challenges"....

Jon

p.s. Maui 180 days....

Boy, those are the kind of challenges I can live without...and would probably not live through a few days in North Korea...something about First Amendment rights that they do not seem to get....

And we Northern Californians love Orange County--heck, Disneyland is there--and John Wayne Airport!

Besides, I was raised in Southern California....

joewr

We like you northerners, too. You are our lightning rods for earthquakes...

I think the biggest problem I would have in N.K. is that I have not developed a taste for tree bark. Those folks need to join the rest of the world. Easier said than done.

Where in So Cal did you grow up before defecting?

Jon

Hey, Jon,

I guess Northridge is north of Orange County!

I grew up in San Bernardino in the 40's and 50's--yep, I am that old! Back then it was mostly orange trees, Norton Air Force Base, and the Santa Fe Railroad. My, have times changed.

And, yes, Route 66 was the road we used to head your way.

I defected in 1960 when I headed to university. Still, roots are roots!

And tree bark is definitely not on my daily menu!

joewr

OK, I'll throw in 2¢ for Oahu.

There is a bit of everything. We have beautiful beaches here (not only Waikiki, three of Hawaii's top ten beaches are on Oahu), waterfalls, trails, look outs, historical sites...lots to see and do. If you want a busy metropolitan with lots of shopping, attractions and entertainment (i.e. Society of Seven - Cirque Hawaii - Magic of Polynesia - Hawaii Theatre to name a few - we have it. Golf? 5 of Hawaii's top ten courses are here. Hiking, parasailing, sportfishing, skydiving, hang gliding...lots to offer
You like less action and want that laid back Hawaii you've always heard about? That's our North Shore. You want to see other Polynesian cultures? There's PCC. There is always something going on - Festivals, Swap Meets, Art on the Fence, parades...You can enjoy it or just as easily avoid it. (check out www.gohawaii.com)

As for the Diving. It is what you make of it. I was originally certified in the Red Sea - First time I dove here I admit, I was pretty disappointed. Being used to the big elaborate corals and seeing the short stubby stuff that grows here. Soon I came to love our wrecks, which are easy dives that a person with 40 dives can easily do - you don't have to penetrate to enjoy them. A colorful array of tropical fish, invertebrates, sea turtles and more. The reefs are full of life. Just today we had a group of 8 Eagle Rays at the Mahi (Oahu's first artificial reef), Frogfish, eels, leafscorpions...and and and. Later the captain spotted dolphins, we followed them for a bit. Then he saw humpback whales so we went as close as we could. I would say that you can have a great vacation on Oahu too.

this is a bit more than 2¢, but you get the idea :wink:

PS: Moved this thread to the Ohana section

FWIW, Captain Cook coined the name Sandwich Islands after his superior officer, the Earl of Sandwich (1/18/1778). The natives have long called the islands by the names we use now. In 1810 Kamehameha I conquered Kauai, finally uniting all the islands. Since he was origionally the Chief of the Island of Hawaii, he now ruled the Kingdom of Hawaii. The Sandwich Islands name was used by the white man for aproximately 100 years. Since the origional settlers probably arrived continuously from ~400AD to 1300AD there were undoubtably more than one names for the islands prior to Sandwich.

....calm, clear water...very little wind...and lots to do when not diving. I recommend Jack's Diving Locker for dives and retail. There is a fantastic photo competition in May (5th-12th) called the Kona Classic. It's great for everyone from brand new divers who have never taken a pic under water...right up to very accomplished underwater photographers. More info on the Jack's site and the Sport Diver magazine site.

Try to do the manta dive with Keller!
Have fun wherever you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom