Hawaii in May - Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get as far east as you can. Several hundered little islands don't get much diving and it is fantastic.

Gary D.

Jon C:
Best Island: Maui
Best Dive Site: Molokini
Best Dive Outfit: B&B Scuba (808)-875-2861 Small groups so call in advance.

i second that
B&B is AWSOME
really nice people and well run
awsome dive sites near by.
just make sure you call in advanced and you might also ask about what dives they are planning that week.
when i was there for my c card we went to the crater once each day and the second dive was a different spot(a reef the first day St anthonys the second)
the wreak had a bunch of turtles and so did the reef.
have fun

I favor Maui but you won't be dissapointed with any island.

Charlie59:
On Hawaii the night Manta dives are fun.

Yes!!!! And thank you, Charlie, for reminding me!

Both Sandwich Isle and Jack's offer manta dives. They are night dives and if you have never done a night dive, they will give you special care.

This is probably the easiest way for you to do a night dive...period.

And the mantas are absolutely spectacular. They come in and do tricks, glide right over the top of you and stick around until you leave. Absolutely fantastic.

So, if you have not done a night dive, just tell them and they will make you feel like the only customer on the boat!

One thing to do is to ask if the Mantas are running BEFORE you sign up. In my experience they will be completely honest with you. If they say, no, do not go.

If we are planning to do a manta dive, we usually ask on our first day in Kona and sign up if they are running. Believe me when I say that these dives can fill up fast--especially in high season.

As a famous comedian now says, "Git 'er done."

joewr

Thanks all for the information - very helpfull.

I think we are leaning toward Maui.

Can't wait !!!

This will be our first scuba trip - we have only ever been diving close to home around Catalina Island - We love California, but it will be fun to go somewhere different.

Thanks Again - Happy Diving

Great info ! I was going to delay in asking the same question by a few more months, as my wife & I are going out to the islands for the 1st time early June. Since we will be there 10 days, we chose to hit Kauai (we both love to hike & explore diverse outdoors stuff) & Maui (we both 'cycle, & have heard there are tour outfitters there). My wife does not dive, but loves to snorkel. Any suggestions on how to get the two of us out together to both dive & snorkel? Does B & B offer a boat excursion to accomodate both? Or would we be better off shore diving (then I'd have to find a dive buddy)?

Join us in the Ohana for local info.

MN Lakeman:
Great info ! I was going to delay in asking the same question by a few more months, as my wife & I are going out to the islands for the 1st time early June. Since we will be there 10 days, we chose to hit Kauai (we both love to hike & explore diverse outdoors stuff) & Maui (we both 'cycle, & have heard there are tour outfitters there). My wife does not dive, but loves to snorkel. Any suggestions on how to get the two of us out together to both dive & snorkel? Does B & B offer a boat excursion to accomodate both? Or would we be better off shore diving (then I'd have to find a dive buddy)?

Hi,

It has been a few years since I dove with the Maui Dive Shop, but they used to offer a mixed boat to the inside of Molokini. Check on some of the websites of the dive operators on Maui. You can also send them an email and ask directly--and ask for a reference if they do not offer mixed dives. My experience with most outfits on the Islands is that they are more than happy to help.

joewr

joewr:
Hi,

It has been a few years since I dove with the Maui Dive Shop, but they used to offer a mixed boat to the inside of Molokini. Check on some of the websites of the dive operators on Maui. You can also send them an email and ask directly--and ask for a reference if they do not offer mixed dives. My experience with most outfits on the Islands is that they are more than happy to help.

joewr

Most outfits will allow snorkelers (often at lower rates), but they cater to the divers (e.g. visit deeper sites).

Don't forget the Hawaiian French Toast at 5 Palms!!!!! You will never forgive yourself if you miss it. Plus I will torment you on this forum forever... :no It has been the discussion of a few threads on B&B's website! There is actually a picture!!!

There are some snorkel trips out of Lahaina that are pretty cool. I am not sure of the outfits names, but you go across the channel from Maui to Lanai and usually dolphins tag along for part of the ride. Spectacular sites and a great 3/4 day trip. There are also great snorkel spots all along south and west Maui...can't go wrong.

B&B will go to the back wall of Molikini if conditions permit and that would be an intimidating snorkel activity...the second dive is closer to Maui and fine for snorkeling. Best to talk to them. They may offer up a different alternative.

Where are you beach diving in So Cal?

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom