Hawaii in May - Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B&B Divers does NOT go to the Catherdrals which is exacty what we wanted to do. Molokini and Catherals.

We decided to go with Lahaina Divers im thinking. We have pulled the trigger yet a we plan to be back in MAui Diving in APril.

Scrapdizzy,

Nobody here has recomended B&B for Cathedrals, since we all know they don't go there. As I read the Ohana lately, the backhanded recomendation for Lahaina Divers is if you get more seasick on a smaller boat they have the biggest, smoothest traveling boat. One of the drawbacks is they have the biggest boat. The majority recomendation is Extended Horizons for diving Lanai.

If you are implying you chose Lahaina Divers because they go to both Molokini and Lanai (not always Cathedrals), unless you do not have a rental car, use a Kihei outfit for Molokini. The ramp in Kihei is less than 20 minutes from Molokini and gives more options for second dives. After the dives you are free to explore South Maui, back in you car around 10:30. With Lahaina Divers you are not back until after noon.

Lahaina Divers and Maui Dive Shop employ the largest boat staff, most likely at the lowest starting pay. The high turn over among the junior staff leads to a wide variety of customer service. Ed Robinson has long marketed well, resulting in lots of brand recognition but some see them floating on their laurels. B&B has the lowest single charter rates, which often makes for an interesting mix of characters onboard.

All that said, Maui is a very competative place for a dive business. There are no bad operators, just better operators with less bad employees and/or bad days. Check the photos at this link for an Ed Robinson guide having a bad day.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/steveshalemano/album/576460762384646137

Has anyone taken a cruise in Hawaii? I'm planning a trip to Hawaii, too, and was wondering whether this might be a good option for seeing/diving a number of islands in a limited amount of time.

Norwegian offers a 7 day cruise that departs from Honolulu and spends 2 days in Kauai, 2 days in Maui, 2 days in Hawaii (one on each side of the island) and returns to Honolulu. Anyway, I was curious about whether this was a good option.

Happy diving!

I got to Hawaii almost every year, mostly on Oahu and the Big Island. The best diving I have done there was on the Big Island, 2 years ago. We used a company call RedSail if my memory servedme well. The crew was great, very pleasant and firendly. The Scuba Master we had, made us very comfortable (it was only my second time diving), and we felt very safe. We saw a great number of Turtles, all kind of fishes, and we got lucky to encounter Dolphins with their babies (it was great). The water was very clear.
I got my certification on Oahu, (5 Dives) and it wasn't as good (maybe not a good spot). I hear that Maui is very nice.

For what its worth last time in Maui we just did shoredives with forum member Kidspot (tim) had a great time. Real nice guy and a very experienced Dive master.

scrapdizzy:
For what its worth last time in Maui we just did shoredives with forum member Kidspot (tim) had a great time. Real nice guy and a very experienced Dive master.

Did you get to ride in his truck? If so, I know a great chiropractor! Hi, Tim!!!! See you in July. I should have the neck brace off by then.....:wink:

Jon

Back
Top Bottom