Hawaii in May - Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadiver67

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I have about 9 days in May '07 available for a trip.

I was hoping to go to Hawaii for the first time but don't know which island would be good for a first timer.

Want to do lots of diving - my wife and I are still kinda new we only have 40 dives logged - so please don't send us to an island with all super advanced diving.

I searched previous posts and many say the big island is the best - but the threads are a year or two old - have things changed much?

Thanks for your help.

Generally speaking, Hawaii has the best diving and it gets worse as you head north.

I like Maui's proximity to Molokini Crater and the Cathedrals sites off Lanai.

My favorite island to visit is Kauai (I find it to be the most beautiful overall), but the diving isn't as good there as around the younger islands. Hawaii is beautiful in its own right, and is the most diverse island.

Just got back from Maui my wife is a resort diver only pretty water pretty fish max 60 fsw. Loved it lots of easy beach dives off Lahianna (forgive the spelling) most the beach dives had max 50- 60 fsw and great vis. No waves on that side of the island and no shortage of shops. I dove with Mikes scuba Just four of us 99dollars a person for a scooter dive. We had a blast but I must say as fun as the scooter was I like to sit and look at the little things which doesnt happen much. Lots of none diving things to do. Just remeber the holeakala crater is 10,000 feet so no atv rides after the dive.

Hi,

Each of the islands is very different, both in what is on land and what is underwater.

Let's start with the north...

Kauai is the oldest of the four main islands. I think the best diving is on the Poipu side, but some folks like the Princeville side. Since Kauai is oldest of the four I will cover, it has the most "muck diving". If you want to see Frogfish and Turtles...lots and lots of Turtles..it is the place to go. I have not been there in several years, but if Bubbles Below is still in business, they are great.

Oahu is the home of Honolulu and Waikiki and, as such, is probably the major tourist mecca. I am not fond of diving Oahu and, so, will leave that recommendation to others. If you are looking for world class surfing and shopping and wonderful history, Oahu is the place to go.

Maui is both a major site for scuba, beaches, surfing, touring and golf. There is some fantastic diving off of Molokini, especially on the backside. It requires good bottom times and it is worth the trip all by itself. It is also a reasonably quick boat ride to Lanai and that is some mighty fine diving.

There are a number of dive outfits that I have gone with and can recommend Ed Robinson--especially for advanced divers--Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Divers.

While most shops have both morning and afternoon dives, I strongly recommend the morning dives. The tradewinds come up most afternoons and can make a boat ride darn uncomfortable.

The Big Island, Hawaii, has the Kona Coast (I do not recommend the Hilo side since it can have some problematical surges and currents.) and that is just wonderful. One of the nice things about the Big Island is that it is BIG. While not the tourist Mecca of Maui, it has great volcanoes, great sites of historical interest, and darn good diving. I can recommend three dive outfits: Sandwich Isle Divers, Jack's Diving Locker and Pacific Rim Divers. Each has its own flavor and let me just outline them for you. Sandwich Isle has a dive shop and a boat. The boat is nice and only takes 6 divers. The crew is just great. Jack's takes 12 divers and divides them into two groups of 6. They also have an advanced three-tank dive. Jack's has, in my opinion, the best equipment store in town. Pacific Rim Divers just has a boat and it is the cleanest, most organized boat on the Kona Coast. Nice crew, too.

If you are going as a family, I suspect Sandwich Isle could be an excellent choice. Oh, yes, Sandwich Islands was the original name for Hawaii.

I hope this helps.

joewr

joewr, amen. I have been to the Big Island several times and agree with you. PacRim is my favorite, the enthusiasim of Patrice (and her brownies) is addicting. I love the Big Island because it is not the tourist mecca, and I can do more than just sit on the beach when I am not diving. cadiver67, let me know if you need any specifics about the Big Island!

Best Island: Maui
Best Dive Site: Molokini
Best Dive Outfit: B&B Scuba (808)-875-2861 Small groups so call in advance.
Best Place to Stay: Mana Kai (south Kihie-near the boat ramp. On the water, nice reef 25 feet from hotel-clean, reasonably priced)
Best Breakfast: 5 Palms Restaurant (at the Mana Kai: Hawaiian French Toast w Bananas, Kona Coffee, Bacon, and Orange Juice)
Best Dinner: Mama's Fish House (Near the airport) Also home of "Best Drink" - the "Relaxer"; bring designated driver.
Best Tourist Attraction: Road to Hana

I also provide a guide service. You take care of my airfare, my lodging (see above), my meals (see above), my drinks (see above) and I will show you around...if I am not diving!:D Just let me know what time the limo will pick me up at my house!

I love Maui, so I'm definitely biased.....I've also never dove the other islands, so that might have something to do with it too. :wink: But I have to say that if you want a huge variety of diving, including great shore diving, Maui is a fabulous choice. There are also really cool ScubaBoarders like KrisB and Kidspot who are more than happy to meet you for a shore dive when you're on-island.

If you're interested in perhaps taking a class, Maui Dreams is excellent. They also do shore diving in S. Maui, as well as Shaka Doug (another ScubaBoarder), so you have many choices on Maui.

As others have said Maui has powerful dives like the backwall of Molokoni Crater and the Cathedrals on Lanai. Other dives there can be fun.

On Hawaii the night Manta dives are fun.

Oahu famous for wreck dives.

The worst day of diving in Hawaii is still better than the best day of diving in Texas, so have fun. You can't make a mistake going to any of the islands.

With nine days (minus two for travel), now seven days, you don't want to lose another day to travel. Do only one island.

Maui is the best island that gives you all the features of all the other islands. Volcanic features, beaches, desert, lush rain forest, etc.

I always tell people if you can only do one island, do Maui. Two, do Kauai and Hawaii. You only have time for one. don't ruin your vacation by trying to do too much.

Exception: If you're wild about volcanoes, do the big island for your one and only island.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom